Thread: Of Yahoo and the future of Groups

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Of Yahoo and the future of Groups

Some of us may belong to a various Yahoo Group or two. I belong to roughly 20 and am the owner of one (Cubic Astro).

This past week, notification was sent out that the various Groups will be frozen from accepting new content on Oct. 21 of this year and will be permanently deleted on Dec. 14 of same.

I immediately migrated everything to Groups.io. The question lingers: "What will remain of the others?"

About half a dozen of the ones I belong to on Yahoo are run by Carol, W4CLM - and attempts to reach her regarding an issue with the Fox Tango Forum have gone unnoticed. Between now and shutdown, I plan to grab as much as the uploaded Files area content from the Fox-Tango Groups (among others) as I can.

If you're a member of one of the more obscure, less active groups I'd suggest you do same - as their owners may not wish to continue them elsewhere.

As for Yahoo itself: I'll keep an email parked over there but now have zero reason to visit the site. Time will tell if (and how) this move affects their bottom line.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Thanks for the Fox Tango effort. I downloaded a bunch of stuff in the past, I'll make sure I can find it.

Still have that FT-902 w/accessories. As well as some newer Yaesu rigs that are newer.

At least W4RNL and W8JI stuff got rescued and is still up on websites.

Archiving all this old info is important!
    Last edited by WØTKX; 10-17-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I heard from Carol shortly after I started this thread. She's now thinking a move to Groups is inevitable, but is having trouble finding the time to manage everything. I threw in an offer to help, both as a moderator of groups and as a donator to same.

Yes, keeping the info available to maintain our collections of junquevintage radio apparatus is VERY important...

On the 90x topic: I now have two '902DMs (both requiring restoration) plus an FT-901DM that's in great shape. Also have all the peripherals (save the FL-2100Z) and finally managed to run another YK-901 keyboard down a month or two back.

I'll make a move to SDR tech when I can find one that will completely eliminate the S-9 band noise I'm currently plagued with. My modified '930S can dig single CW signals of S-1 or S-2 strength out of that mess, and if a rig comes along that'll do same on voice modes I'll give it serious consideration.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Hard to do in voice modes, but I understand.

I have two audio DSP units that I've even cascaded in high noise times for voice.
    ClearSpeech (has the speaker, but I bypass it, and the MFJ-784B.
    That works OK, but you have to ride the MFJ controls at times.
    This even helps the Flex 3000. The ClearSpeech is better.

I also use small woofer speakers, with the tweeters disabled.
    Last edited by WØTKX; 10-17-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman