Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Give Up!

I Give Up!

Every time I think that I just might understand the basics of Quantum Mechanics, I feel like Sisyphus, and the downhill rolling boulder. Damn. This is weird, the implications are what I wished for many times.
    https://www.livescience.com/2000-ato...e=notification

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Don't wory, that stuff is far above my pay grade as well
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Actually, this proves we are getting somewhere.

We just don't know where "there" is. Yet.

Pure Research Suits Monkey Brains.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

If molecules can be two places at the same time, we are molecules. Now we know that this works for more than the particle level.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Some years ago Schrödinger's cat explained to me how I could be both dead and alive at the same time when I thought I was just Dead Inside. I had already learned to speak Cat being taught by my pets. So, now quantum superposition explains why I see my doppelgangers as Lennon said, Here, There, And Everywhere. I've been Entangled since I bought the Genesis album A Trick Of The Tail album in 1976, a very beautiful song BTW, and now I know it was because of oligo-tetraphenylporphyrins enriched with fluoroalkylsulfanyl chains. Now I have to learn how to pronounce it!

Yes, we ARE getting somewhere, but if we discover where we cannot know when, and if we discover when we cannot know where. That's Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, any of a variety of mathematical inequalities asserting a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, known as complementary variables or canonically conjugate variables such as position x and momentum p, can be known or, depending on interpretation, to what extent such conjugate properties maintain their approximate meaning, as the... Oh forget it, the back of the NJIT lecture hall was a place to sleep between classes.

Meanwhile inside the box, Shroendinger's cat plans it's revenge.jpg
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 10-05-2019 at 06:29 AM.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I've been reading about the science of cognition, specifically visual perception. The hypothesis is the brain processes visual perception using superposition properties of the observation being made. Those who perceive reality closer to the truth tend to survive long enough to reproduce.
    I've watched this video about 6 times. I have to stop it, and walk away and think. I think this cognitive science researcher has struck gold. This guy made me understand the infinite regress of surface area of information, that describes the Holographic Principle. Consciousness, the final frontier.

Last edited by suddenseer; 10-05-2019 at 08:32 PM.

cul de n8tb

I DMed my biochem geek buddy. She told me the reason that molecule structure was chosen, is the average protein molecule contains about 2000 atoms. This old brain is indeed intrigued.

cul de n8tb

The barman is right, there may be many Ferengi on DS9, but only one Quark (L) in that small region who owned the lounge, his waiter and stock boy was Rom (R).

Quark and Rom.jpg

"The hypothesis is the brain processes visual perception using superposition properties of the observation being made."
    A hypo thesis will never get you a PhD.
    "Those who perceive reality closer to the truth tend to survive long enough to reproduce."
    Those who see a grotesquely mutated bird will live just as long as those who know that baby birds cluster under their mothers rather often. Then too cats that know this eat better than cats that see a grotesquely mutated bird and run in fear of Herbert West's (Re Animator) dead cat experiment.

BIrd-Legs-Optical-Illusion-580x580.jpg

"I've watched this video about 6 times. I have to stop it, and walk away and think."
    Thanks for the warning, thinking is bad for my health. I have really bad movies like Beaster Day and Birdemic archived so I can watch them after Plan 9 From Outer Space and Frankenstein Meets The Space Monster have turned my brain into The Brain From Planet Arous mush.
    "I think this cognitive science researcher has struck gold."
    Could be, but I don't want to insult you.
    "This guy made me understand the infinite regress of surface area of information, that describes the Holographic Principle."
    I understand the holographic principle using a projector and fog machine, great for scaring the beegeebers out of those urchins that come begging on Halloween. Fortunately for my overtaxed brain I can't get a single break for on a W2 form I have absolutely no desire to try understanding technobabblle that doesn't make a lick of sense beginning with the title of that video.
    "Consciousness, the final frontier."
    No my friend. Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Its five year mission, to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and blow them to atoms with phasors and photon torpedoes. Hey, why else would we be out here in a warship armed to the gunwales?
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 10-06-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    The barman is right, there may be many Ferengi on DS9, but only one Quark (L) in that small region who owned the lounge, his waiter and stock boy was Rom (R).

Quark and Rom.jpg

"The hypothesis is the brain processes visual perception using superposition properties of the observation being made."
    A hypo thesis will never get you a PhD.
    "Those who perceive reality closer to the truth tend to survive long enough to reproduce."
    Those who see a grotesquely mutated bird will live just as long as those who know that baby birds cluster under their mothers rather often. Then too cats that know this eat better than cats that see a grotesquely mutated bird and run in fear of Herbert West's (Re Animator) dead cat experiment.

BIrd-Legs-Optical-Illusion-580x580.jpg

"I've watched this video about 6 times. I have to stop it, and walk away and think."
    Thanks for the warning, thinking is bad for my health. I have really bad movies like Beaster Day and Birdemic archived so I can watch them after Plan 9 From Outer Space and Frankenstein Meets The Space Monster have turned my brain into The Brain From Planet Arous mush.
    "I think this cognitive science researcher has struck gold."
    Could be, but I don't want to insult you.
    "This guy made me understand the infinite regress of surface area of information, that describes the Holographic Principle."
    I understand the holographic principle using a projector and fog machine, great for scaring the beegeebers out of those urchins that come begging on Halloween. Fortunately for my overtaxed brain I can't get a single break for on a W2 form I have absolutely no desire to try understanding technobabblle that doesn't make a lick of sense beginning with the title of that video.
    "Consciousness, the final frontier."
    No my friend. Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Its five year mission, to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and blow them to atoms with phasors and photon torpedoes. Hey, why else would we be out here in a warship armed to the gunwales?

Note to self:Don't do what the voices tell you, even if you would have anyway. Even if you have to pay $, don't give up sex.

cul de n8tb