Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Creating Fake Videos

  1. #1
    Master Navigator KC2KFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,454

    Creating Fake Videos

    A rather interesting article about the creation of fake videos.

    https://www.fastcompany.com/90404007...e-obvious-ones

    Lots of peopleincluding Congressare worried about fake videos and imagery distorting the truth, purporting to show people saying and doing things they never said or did.

    Im part of a larger U.S. government project that is working on developing ways to detect images and videos that have been manipulated. My teams work, though, is to play the role of the bad guy. We develop increasingly devious, and convincing, ways to generate fakesin hopes of giving other researchers a good challenge when theyre testing their detection methods.

    For the past three years, weve been having a bit of fun dreaming up new ways to try to change the meaning of images and video. Weve created some scenarios ourselves, but weve also had plenty of inspiration from current events and circumstances of actual bad guys trying to twist public opinion.

    Im proud of the work weve done, and hope it will help people keep track of the truth in a media-flooded world. But weve found that a key element of the battle between truth and propaganda has nothing to do with technology. It has to do with how people are much more likely to accept something if it confirms their beliefs...
    Stay healthy my friends.

  2. #2
    Lord of the Flies WZ7U's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Upper left - CN86jc
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by KC2KFC View Post
    But weve found that a key element of the battle between truth and propaganda has nothing to do with technology. It has to do with how people are much more likely to accept something if it confirms their beliefs...
    That has been the problem since video was made a thing many decades ago. Smart propagandists knew this early on and used it to their advantage.

    Now I'm off to read the link and see just how right my theory is.

    ETA - yup, got 'em coach.

    I was intrigued by this statement from the piece - "For my generation and generations before, particularly those of us who saw the transition from film to digital photography, the trust in the image is there to be broken. For my son and subsequent generations raised on media, the trust, it seems, was never there in the first place." It was damned near impossible to fake a photograph, whether still film or motion back in the day. Now with digital, faking it is making it. An amazing paradigm shift IMO.
    Last edited by WZ7U; 09-14-2019 at 02:54 PM.

    Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

  3. #3
    Master Navigator KC2KFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,454
    Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    That has been the problem since video was made a thing many decades ago. Smart propagandists knew this early on and used it to their advantage.

    Now I'm off to read the link and see just how right my theory is.

    ETA - yup, got 'em coach.

    I was intrigued by this statement from the piece - "For my generation and generations before, particularly those of us who saw the transition from film to digital photography, the trust in the image is there to be broken. For my son and subsequent generations raised on media, the trust, it seems, was never there in the first place." It was damned near impossible to fake a photograph, whether still film or motion back in the day. Now with digital, faking it is making it. An amazing paradigm shift IMO.
    I too thought that was a rather poignant point of the article. I think about when I first got into photography in the 1970's. I would shoot 35mm Tri-x and develop it in my bathroom at home. I could manipulate the image in the darkroom during printing, but not nearly with the sophistication of today's digital images. Perhaps I'm getting cynical in my old age, but I find my belief of anything I see on the internet diminishing. It's amazing what can be done with digital video today.
    Stay healthy my friends.

  4. #4
    Whacker Knot WTKX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    26,513
    True dat, but the InterTubes can refute the fakers, and rather quickly most of the time.

    Fake video and picture forensics is fascinating, but time consuming. I dabble at times.
    Many of the fakes are really easy to spot. Pixel artifacts and what-not. Zoom, man.

    What is more troubling is the lack of objective inquiry by most of the public.
    Which is how we get naked emperors like you-know-who.

    Eric Hoffer can explain better than me...



    In Ye Olden Times the courtesans of the palace engaged in this shit.
    Now, the whole world is the stage. As predicted by Max Headroom.

    Last edited by WTKX; 09-14-2019 at 10:56 PM.
    Most of the time we are punished if we go against the trend. Only at an inflection point are we rewarded. ~ George Soros



  5. #5
    Beach Bum
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    84
    Confirmation bias, telling people what they want to hear. That's how Fox News works.

  6. #6
    Lord of the Flies WZ7U's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Upper left - CN86jc
    Posts
    3,959
    That's how they all work. Faux just takes a lower road.

    Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

  7. #7
    Lord of the Flies kb2crk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    arnoldsville ga
    Posts
    3,523
    Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    That's how they all work. Faux just takes a lower road.
    They are all on the same road. The agenda is to keep the people arguing while they cover up what is happening behind closed doors in DC.
    Faux news ujst keeps a different group occupied.


    a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

  8. #8
    Volcano Tamer N1LAF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ledyard, CT
    Posts
    13,885
    How about Fake Weather



    Note he is leaning towards the wind direction, not against it.

    More...



    Props!

  9. #9
    Whacker Knot WTKX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    26,513
    Most of the time we are punished if we go against the trend. Only at an inflection point are we rewarded. ~ George Soros



  10. #10
    Master Navigator KC2KFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,454
    If I'm not mistaken, and I could be wrong, the climate on earth has been changing for about 4 billion years.
    Stay healthy my friends.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •