Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illinois Recreational Cannabis

Illinois Recreational Cannabis

Illinois has just passed legal, recreational cannabis with possession up to an ounce at a time.

Here's a comment from a poster in South Carolina.

Name:  WSITV.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  19.7 KB

And here's a news link: https://www.wistv.com/2019/06/25/ill...onal-marijuana

It would take a lot more than an oz to get me to move to IL. Hatred or no hatred.

What a dumbass thing to write. Must be a trumpet.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Master Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    It would take a lot more than an oz to get me to move to IL. Hatred or no hatred.

What a dumbass thing to write. Must be a trumpet.
    Quote Originally Posted by wlwt
    The distinct smell of compromise is in the air over the great pot debate of 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by wlwt
    A decisive, up or down vote is expected Wednesday morning, according to Vice Mayor Chris Smitherman.

To try to bring the controversial issue to a conclusion, a cannabis compromise is in play.
    Smitherman would prefer no restriction on rolling a joint and smoking it anywhere in the city, but can live with a public use ban.

Councilman David Mann would prefer an age limit of at least 21 years old, but can live with 18.
    At this point, it seems like they're all angling for a way to cobble together a majority five votes.
    Self-described weed smoker Peter Deane told the Law and Public Safety Committee today he is cool with 100 grams as opposed to 200.

"And I think that's fair," he said. "I think that's where we should be and that anything over that could be a misdemeanor."

The city's law department compiled arrest numbers involving marijuana over the past 15 years.
    They show roughly eight out of every 10 pot arrests were African American males regardless of whether they were charged by city or state statutes.
    The period of time covered January of 2004 to May of 2019.
    The statistics showed 16,817 pot-related charges under city law within that time frame. An unspecified number involved multiple charges.
    According to the report, 86.2% were African American.

"These are alarming numbers when we start talking about creating a permanent underclass. If you cannot get a j-o-b," said Smitherman.

So, he and Councilman Jeff Pastor are willing to accept no-public-use in order to get impunity for possession of 100 grams.

"Sometimes we have to change laws because they're unfair, they're biased, they're obsolete," Pastor said.
    If public smoking of marijuana is prohibited by any new city ordinance, you would nonetheless be penalty-free for possessing a certain amount on Fountain Square, for example.
    Smitherman said the little guy is being criminalized with misdemeanors "while Wall Street and the suits are making billions of dollars off marijuana."

At City Hall, this week's strategy is give a little to get a little. Lawmakers sense the inclination towards legalization. Ten states have gone that route so far.

<snip>

If none of the measures achieve majority support Wednesday, Vice Mayor Smitherman reiterated he would mount a petition drive to place the issue on the ballot. However, he added Monday that he was unsure whether there would be enough time to make this November's election, saying it would then take aim at November of 2020 and perhaps contain even greater progressive ballot language.

Final outcome was 100 grams, no age limit, no public use.

Law takes effect on 7/12/2019.

Ahia?

Like that post was...

It seems to be working out in Michigan... Good luck!
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Public use: Is it possible in Illinois to open a private club to membership?
    In parts of South Carolina before the Sunday alcohol sales ban was lifted on a county by county basis, you could open a bar and call it a private club. Single individuals could buy a membership and drink alcoholic beverages at the location during sales restricted days such as Sunday and sales restricted hours like after midnight.

"Smitherman would prefer no restriction on rolling a joint and smoking it anywhere in the city, but can live with a public use ban."
    Would someone mind telling me what THAT'S supposed to mean? I can smell him talking out both sides of his ass with that shit, smoking it anywhere in the city IS public use unless otherwise specified with the usual lawyer speak. The party of the first part rolling a marijuana cigarette for the party of the second part in the basement of the party of the third part with all lights extinguished and all windows closed so smoking of said marijuana cigareet shared with the lawyer of the fourth part giving approval reet, sweet, and poteet that no evidence thereof may be visible to parties of the fifth part on the public street in front of said dwelling belonging to the landlord of the third part. That having been said in one long run-on lawyerese sentence and having been sworn before me this day in The Age of Aquarius with love and understanding, don't bogart that joint my friend, pass it over to me.

"Final outcome was 100 grams, no age limit, no public use."
    I don't think I'd be walking down the street with 3 1/2 O-Zs in plain sight in the first place, if you don't show it to them they don't know if you have a gram or a ton. Just for shits and giggles, do you know how much that costs??? It varies, but regardless it's way too much for a little get high. By way of remembering the good times, in pre Nixon days that would be a cool $70 for "Lumbo", "El Primo", Colombian. That would keep me going for about 4 months. For what it's worthless, yesterday I watched a documentary on the life of Bob Marley, I couldn't BELIEVE how much the Rastas smoked! No wonder him staring up drifting off when he wasn't bouncing all over the stage making Mick Jagger look like he was nailed to the floor! One world, one love, let's get together and feel irie.
    "New Jersey, the most American of all states. It has everything from wilderness to the Mafia. All the great things and all the worst, like Route 22."
    Jean Shepherd K2ORS (SK) & WOR radio personality

The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Master Navigator
    What will Illinois do with all the tax money they save now? I mean, no more arrests, no more courts, no more jails.

Maybe they can concentrate on real crime?

Like that post was...

That's a mighty big maybe.
    "New Jersey, the most American of all states. It has everything from wilderness to the Mafia. All the great things and all the worst, like Route 22."
    Jean Shepherd K2ORS (SK) & WOR radio personality

The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.