Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mega Watt Power Supplies?

Mega Watt Power Supplies?

Hi guys,

Are any of you familiar with the PSUs made by this company? I'm interested in any impressions you may have?

http://www.megawattpowersupplies.com/
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Can't speak directly to them myself, but I do run old server supplies at my place for HF. Set to 13.8v, 82A max per unit as well as a 5v terminal. Bought these for $20 each about 3 years ago used. Kinda reminded me of those.

Sorry I'm not more help.

On edit - HP branded server supplies, cycled out for age I'm sure. First learned about them from a friend into RC stuff. Apparently that demographic uses them to charge batteries.
    Last edited by WZ7U; 09-06-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Remembered a detail - getting older sucks

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Interesting. When I read "Built for... ...CB Radio... ...or a linear amplifier" my mind instantly flashed here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef6z3MaLOrU (skip forward to 0:55 ) then at 1:13 jump to here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEAGHixZHJg for more incredible mindlessness.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Interesting. When I read "Built for... ...CB Radio... ...or a linear amplifier" my mind instantly flashed here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef6z3MaLOrU (skip forward to 0:55 ) then at 1:13 jump to here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEAGHixZHJg for more incredible mindlessness.
    "Dave-made, Dave-made, Dave-made".......

The fact that the company's advertisements are directed at "Ham Radio" (not Amateur Radio) and list "CB Radio" on it's front page tells the whole story; a D.C. power supply that delivers 15 volts direct current at 400 amperes (6.0 Kw!); good to power a "128 pill" 12 volt bipolar transistor RF amplifier.

How does that look on the primary side of the transformer, *if* this PSU was 100% efficient (it's not), it would pull 27 amps on a 220 volt A.C. circuit (234 vac in reality but, round numbers are easier).

Towards the end of the page, he misspells "Reviews" and his "Reveiws" come from the WWDX free-band web site.

Look harder, you can do better if you want to.

Years ago, my friend Hi (W8UXE - SK) came across some 100-150A linear supplies that were designed to deliver unregulated, ~16VDC to industrial computer equipment. His solution to regulation was to equip each of several feeds with a regulator/pass transistor arrangement which would supply 12-13VDC @ 35-40A to each radio that required DC power. A larger pass transistor setup - higher Ic devices, with more of them in parallel - allowed currents of upwards of 100A for use with the odd HF or VHF amplifier.

We measured the raw output @ >100A loading and most of these would only sag around 0.5V.

I wish I could remember who made the supplies.
    Last edited by N8YX; 09-06-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Grammar
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

They look familiar in the form factor. Like the PSU types for those bigass road messaging signs that I used to work on.

I have 4 28 VDC 40 amp supplies squirrelled away (rescued from the recycle bin at the old employer) that got tossed.

Because we went from Skyline displays to Daktronics. Refurbished spares. So yea, solid state amps. Maybe.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

My mind got side tracked by idiot CBers and I didn't continue down to the spelling errors red flag. What I did notice but failed to mention was a HUGE red flag, the misuse of a clamp on AC ammeter on DC leads. This looks like a product of The Donald with his child's mind, Mega What I wonder.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

No. The Greenlee CM-1550 clamp meter measures DC amps just fine, as do many clamp meters.

Using a hall effect sensor, you can still use it for DC, just mind the direction (polarity).

Your confirmation bias regarding CeeBee and/or poor engrish is showing.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/27...page=10#manual

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/hal...t-sensors.html
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    My mind got side tracked by idiot CBers and I didn't continue down to the spelling errors red flag. What I did notice but failed to mention was a HUGE red flag, the misuse of a clamp on AC ammeter on DC leads. This looks like a product of The Donald with his child's mind, Mega What I wonder.
    I saw that!

Actually had me questioning my own intellect.

ETA: If I were still "working" I would invest in one of those new fangeled DC reading clamp on ammeters, for my involvement now days, the old AC clamp in will have to do.
    Last edited by koØm; 09-07-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Clamp on >DC< ammeter, that's a new one on me. My last job as a plant electrician was before those critters came on the scene, I used an antique analog meter to check phase balance. Anyway, I wouldn't trust a tech writer who can't spell AND is too dumb to use a good spell checker and/or use one of scores of Internet dictionaries when the spell checker doesn't look quite right. In this case the tech writer is a CB Bubba with a 6th grade education that participates in "shoot outs" like the one with arcing antennas and bitches about the "beepers" on 10 meters.

What looks like a bargain can turn into a disaster, especially when you don't know the source and find out too late. Those PSUs look like pulls, pulls from what and where? Reputable dealers have become clearing houses for sellers, many in China, and they don't screen sellers that use their web site. Recently I decided to dig into my computer and replace the drives, C Main (OS and apps) became a Seagate 240GB SSD and D Data Volume (videos, music, etc.) was a 4TB Seagate Barracuda became a Seagate Terascale designed for server data storage in a data center. The whole idea being the drive used most being designed to run continuously and warranted for 5 years should be a brute made to last. It passed a SMART test with flying colors, POH (power on hours) 0, looked to me to be NIB half priced. No such luck, in a week it started grinding coffee, the Barracuda went back in awaiting delivery of a 4TB Seagate Exos 7E8 that I was going to buy until I spotted the "bargain". Now the Exos is D Data Volume and the Barracuda holds two compressed backups, one of each drive. Being it only spins up for 8 hours a month I expect it isn't going to die any time soon. Reading users reviews (read suckers) I discovered they use software to roll back POH to zero so it reads SMART like a new HDD, like an old trick now illegal used car salesmen used, disconnect the speedo cable and using a drill roll the odometer back. Unfortunately legislators haven't caught on to these electronic cheats.

That's what I went through trying to be a cheapskate and got punished for it, here's the run down on the history of the Seagate Terascale HDD. It's an obsolete server pull, if you see it for sale shun it. It's being sold by a company with a bad reputation for selling shit hiding behind reputable companies that unfortunately don't screen the companies they contract web page space to. Now I read the fine print so to speak, if it's not sold directly by a reputable company I usually avoid it. Seagate makes lots of Enterprise Capacity HDDs, sifting through them I found a few in my price range that have been around a while, but the Exos 7E8 replaces the Constellation ES3 no longer listed as Enterprise Capacity. It looks like the Exos is the latest and greatest in that price range and will be around for at least 5 years while the Constellation is on the way out.

So why did I go through all this HDD stuff? Two reasons, an FYI if you would like to make your machines into kaiju (Japanese for giant monsters) that like Godzilla King Of The Monsters that lived from 1952 to 1992 (the new Godzilla is actually his son Minya now full grown and Shin Godzilla is another beast entirely) are built to last, and compare a known disreputable company to one even the Google search engine can't find. Now I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts this "Mega Watt" is like Mel suggested, another "Dave Made" Chicken Band moron I wouldn't trust any farther than I can throw an Iowa Class battleship!
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 09-08-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA