"Also, love to hear that turbo spool up when I get on the pedal."
That being the case you missed your calling, an engineer for the Erie Lackawanna Railroad back in the day. Their Alco locomotives could be heard coming a mile away with their characteristic whine.

I would imagine #1 Diesel resists jelling better being lighter than the usual #2, and being lighter ignites more readily making that first start with glow plugs on easier. Then like Eric said availability is an issue, like finding Diesel itself is an issue, fewer filling stations sell it since Diesel prices went through the roof. Being more expensive than gasoline discouraged use, and why is a mystery. If you look into the crude oil refining process you'll see that gasoline, the lightest liquid off the top of the pipe still is not enough to meet the demand, most comes from catalytic cracking towers where heavier oil molecules are cracked into smaller gasoline molecules. This is an expensive process compared to Diesel that comes straight off the still at a level between industrial heating oils and kerosene.

As an aside just for general FYI, while gasoline is the lightest liquid off the top of the still gas comes off the very top. Some of this gas is separated into its components like propane and butane, the rest was burned off with torches atop towers, that is until refineries discovered cogen. Co-generation is an internal combustion turbine spinning an alternator that supplies the plant's electricity needs and back feeds the power company that buys power. For what it's worthless, when I lived up north I saw an amazing display, the torches at the Exxon Bayway refinery in Elizabeth were never dismantled and normally burn excess gas at a very low level. However, for New Year at the stroke of midnight they light up full blast and can be seen for miles.