Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: End of an era and a new way of life

I like the pulling power for my camper. Also, love to hear that turbo spool up when I get on the pedal.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Yes, truck stops sell #1. You can buy anti gel additive too, but #1 works more consistently. Availability is certainly a local issue, best figure it out ahead of time.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

"Also, love to hear that turbo spool up when I get on the pedal."
    That being the case you missed your calling, an engineer for the Erie Lackawanna Railroad back in the day. Their Alco locomotives could be heard coming a mile away with their characteristic whine.

I would imagine #1 Diesel resists jelling better being lighter than the usual #2, and being lighter ignites more readily making that first start with glow plugs on easier. Then like Eric said availability is an issue, like finding Diesel itself is an issue, fewer filling stations sell it since Diesel prices went through the roof. Being more expensive than gasoline discouraged use, and why is a mystery. If you look into the crude oil refining process you'll see that gasoline, the lightest liquid off the top of the pipe still is not enough to meet the demand, most comes from catalytic cracking towers where heavier oil molecules are cracked into smaller gasoline molecules. This is an expensive process compared to Diesel that comes straight off the still at a level between industrial heating oils and kerosene.

As an aside just for general FYI, while gasoline is the lightest liquid off the top of the still gas comes off the very top. Some of this gas is separated into its components like propane and butane, the rest was burned off with torches atop towers, that is until refineries discovered cogen. Co-generation is an internal combustion turbine spinning an alternator that supplies the plant's electricity needs and back feeds the power company that buys power. For what it's worthless, when I lived up north I saw an amazing display, the torches at the Exxon Bayway refinery in Elizabeth were never dismantled and normally burn excess gas at a very low level. However, for New Year at the stroke of midnight they light up full blast and can be seen for miles.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

It's been an adventure so far. Less than a week in and we've had the float in the septic system go bad and need to be replaced. Then a couple nights ago we had some high winds and the next afternoon while the plumber was here I noticed some shingles in the yard. I put the drone up to get a look and in the process of discovering how much damage there was I had what can best be described as a 'senior moment' and flew my drone at speed in to a tree. Then I broke a tooth. Oh, and when I mowed the lawn for the first time, I got too close to the corn field, dropped the tires in to the dead furrow, and laid the mower over on its side. My wife is thinking of getting me a caretaker at this point.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Oh my! What a day! You should have bought a lottery ticket!

Should have stayed in bed....
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I was gonna ask about the fireplace vents and if they had fan assist. Because it's more fun than a pellet stove.
    Had a few vented fan assisted fireplaces, one was quite large... 6' wide by 5' tall.
    That sucker would fire up easily and coal up ginormous logs.
    Put a fire resistant darker glaze over that white brick.
    You know, like a sponge wall painting trick.
    Alas, my recent move has no fireplace.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

The shack is starting to form. Battle station 1 is almost together. Battle station 2 I will work on over the winter. Transported the more important antennae yesterday and will get the remaining few during the coming week. Started putting the shack together today. Hoping to get some wire in the air and coax through the wall next weekend. Possibly have the 2M stuff and IRLP node back on the air before the end of October.
    Attached Images Attached Images

^ Nice set up
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Thanks. Lugged the TS-520SE and FL2100B down to the shack yesterday. Kind of thinking I should have paid someone younger and stronger to do that for me.