Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: End of an era and a new way of life

That's not a fireplace, it's a heatilator, I spotted the air inlets and outlets at first glance. It is a double wall fireplace, the inner wall steel, with a space between where air is heated and convection sends warm air out into the room. A friend on the shore of Lake Wallenpaupack, Pennsylvania near Hawley has one made of local rocks. He added fan assist, it is the sole source of heat for the cabin. It's a lovely house, the frame of the ham shack already up and with a furnace duct nearby tapping it for heat is easy. Just one thing I don't like and never did like, bricks painted white. It reminds me of the neighbors where I grew up ruining a natural brick wall and fireplace my father left natural brick.

Stating the obvious, an ATV doesn't have much muscle for plowing, you'll need tire chains of course and you'll need to be out there in the cold several times during a heavy snowfall. That's not my cup of tea, (Earl Grey, hot) I'd rather a heavy duty pickup truck (Dodge Ram?) with a heavy load in back for weight aiding traction, and of course heat in the cab. The guy in the Poconos drove a Land Rover that cleared the 2 mile road to the 3 cabins by the lake, for what that's worth mentioning.

A salt lick will definitely attract deer, you'll need a .30/30 and a Bowie knife to dress the carcass. I love venison and buckskin makes good clothing and moccasins are very comfortable. You'll like living like a modern Native American*, and come winter that heatilator will provide a substantial savings in fuel. We used a wood stove where I lived in West Creek that kept the gas furnace off a good portion of the time. One problem, living between the Pine Barrens and a salt marsh meant we had to buy hardwood for the fire and it's expensive, fuel savings were minimal. Pine is not for burning indoor, the exhaust or chimney would get loaded with creosote in short order, a chimney fire can easily set fire to the house.

* I know, I've been watching too many wilderness living shows on TV.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Banned
    It's a beautiful home.

I grew up near a place that the natives lived at one time. They were kind enough to leave some petroglyphs so we knew they had been there. I had fairly feral childhood, spending a lot of my time with a knife, single shot .22, and some fishing gear roaming about the woods, following the creeks. I don't like that white brick either and that will change at some point in the not too distant future. The firebox will need to be replaced. The wife would like a pellet stove insert, but I'm in favor of a real wood burning fireplace. I had a Dodge. Once. Never again. Current rig is a Silverado 2500HD diesel. I'll stick with the ATV. I've used them to move snow before, just never actually owned one. Plus we have a good trail system around here, I'm looking forward to getting out on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

so when are you inviting us all over? :)

that looks like a great place! i'm looking for a new rental now: i've been at my current place for three years and it's working my last nerve. it's never been perfect but for a building built in the 1850s it's been ok ... but this last year has been the worst.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Stop by any time you're in the area. I'll take the day off work, show you around, sample some craft brews and/or Bloody Marys with you,
    we'll play a little radio, weather permitting we can go out on the river with the pontoon, hell, I'll even put you up in the guest house.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

That deer is focused in on you. (;->) The firebox being worn out is a good sign, the former owner(s) got plenty of use out of it for reasons I stated above. A pellet stove insert? That takes all the fun out of tending the fire, and you may as well leave the white, one of those things can't make it any uglier. Besides, it defeats the whole purpose of having a heatilator, built on the same basic principle pellet stoves are specifically for convection or forced air heating. If you're hen pecked (:-<) maybe you can take the heat (sic) off by showing her what she's letting herself in for. https://mydecorative.com/10-vital-po...our-home-2018/

As for the basement ham shack, if you want to be an AM Gangsta riding in style a Hallicrafters HT-4 BC-610 spits out 600W and it mates up nicely with an R-390. I've operated both and love them, the 390 is the best boat anchor RX I've ever worked on and operated. I was reminded last evening while watching The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms.

Hallicrafters HT-4 mil BC-610.jpgR-390.jpg

Turtle Stack??? That's as bad as Lizard Lick, if anybody remembers THAT one. I had a turtle stack once, I had turtles in a back yard pen as pets, an one time I found them all stacked up in a corner. Turtles are strange critters, I've seen them in the wild stacked up on floating logs when there is plenty of room on the log to spread out and get warmed by the sun. Bud used to be a good cheap beer until an Argentinian outfit bought Ann Hizer's Bush and let their panthers piss in it. Then Yuengling became a chaser to Jameson until I started taking MS contin for a bad back, that's when I hopped on the wagon.

I mentioned Dodge because a friend bought a Dodge pick 'em up truck and I got a ride in the beast. I don't know how it worked out, but they DO have an interesting logo. You didn't mention the Silverado until now, that pushes me even more to muscle with weight in the bed for traction, and tire chains for more traction. Maybe you plowed with an ATV, but for my money they're for trails in summer and the Chevy for plowing in winter. Being a Diesel I suppose you know about keeping them warm so the fuel doesn't turn to jelly. I remember stories of how winter gave the Allies an advantage, gasoline powered Sherman tanks kept running while Diesel powered Tiger tanks had the Nazis at a standstill.

Dodge Ram.jpgsilverado plow.jpg
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 09-05-2019 at 06:53 AM.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

That's a nice layout.

In several years, I'm looking at a slightly (south)westward move - the next county over, and to a place higher in elevation than my current digs. Lots of deer and other critters out there too.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

55-22 on the gelled fuel. I left it parked for a few of the colder mornings last winter and walked in to work. That might prove to be a little more difficult this winter.

It's worth the extra $$$ for #1 diesel when the weather warrants it, IMO.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Yeah, but where can you get #1 Diesel? All I've seen at filling stations are gasoline regular and premium, Diesel, and in some areas K1 kerosene. Truck stops maybe?

When I worked as a plant electrician for a custom kitchen shop I noticed the straight trucks were Diesel when the weather turned cold. Before they went out in the morning they had electrical cords run to outlets on the building. That's on the same latitude as New York City, but when you run a business you can't afford trucks that won't start, and older motors get temperamental. Heaters only work where you can plug them in, all things considered it would be wise to trade the pick 'm up truck for a gas buggy. Then invest in a hygrometer to keep track of the battery's condition, cold is a battery's worst enemy. Consider Alaska where they have a saying, "When it's 20 below it's cold. When it's 40 below it's damn cold. When it's 60 below it's G_D DAMN COLD!"
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 09-06-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA