Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Hijacked My Computer

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    https://www.safer-networking.org/pro...t-anti-beacon/

Scroll to the bottom and click Download.

Payment is optional, but you get more blocking options with the paid version.

Best return ever for money I donated.

Yesterday Mozilla updated Firefox, now it has anti-tracking built in, however it can't stop Micro$atan's old tricks, telemetry. Now they're putting that shit in third party apps, these days you may as well be using a public WiFi hotspot. $10 is a worthwhile investment, but if you're utterly paranoid or up to no good and want the ultimate in security you'll have to pay more for the very best, ExpressVPN or second best (not quite as fast but I find it adequate) NordVPN. If you spend that much money you must be a smart shopper, look around for the best discount that ironically may be hidden on an obscure page on the manufacturers web site. There are others that have various holes, and freebies are worthless, so if you want to be completely any mouse end to end wear a Guy Fawkes mask at least when you're up to no good.

So, thanks for the post, the cheapskates and legal beagles... and most of all Spybot appreciates it. (;->)
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Which version of Win10 are most of you in-thread using...Home, Professional, Enterprise?

I'm getting ready to build an i3770-based system and as far as the requisite MS platform will likely install the lower-tier Pro offering. Don't need enhanced graphics or gaming capabilities.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

All 64 bit, Pro in the the AMD tower, Home on the laptops.
    Pro is tweaked with Windows insider stuff.

I gotta fire up/rebuild my Linux "mule" tower PC.

The mule is almost always open case, used to test and refurb drives mostly.
    Various distros from time to time, but man, it is a useful machine.

My one and only Mac (Power Computing "clone") got donated.
    Ran Beos like a champ, no OS-X in any form.

May build another tower at some point.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF View Post
    Time to look at Linux again.

For those who might be interested, The seventh generation core (Intel) (sixth generation core for Xeon) and the newer AMD Zen will not be able to run Microsoft OS before Windows 10. This is the Microsoft-Intel-AMD collusion. But you can run any version of Linux, OSX. This should also boost Linux stock even more, as Microsoft once again angers its user base. More Here...
    And now a reading of this topic according to John/IZE-

I adopted Linux early on when I got my first 166mhz Pentium. I didn't latch onto it because of any dislike for Microsoft. I just happened to be browsing around a bookshop and came across a few books on Linux and it immediately reminded me of my days operating on systems in academia. And although disdain for MicroSoft wasn't a motivating factor, over the years since, Microsoft has given me numerous reasons to look upon them with disdain. This recent move is typical of what I have come to expect from Microsoft and is theiorclassic way of manipulating and shoehorning it's user base. In my case going the Linux route is easy as I have been there since the 1980's. However, for many people migration to a new op system is not so easy without some degree of productivity loss (hopefully short lived) as clients adjust to the migration away from Windows to a new system. In some cases the transition may not be feasible. In other cases it may not be feasible in the immediate short term but if they can bear with it may prove quite feasible in the long term. It all depends on the clientele, their business model, and how well they can weather the winds of change.

P.S. As a fedora user it is not the distro I would recommend to the enterprise. Each Fedora distro version is very short lived as new version updates come up fast and furious, often including the most bleeding edge apps and administrative tools. For example, I just upgraded today and I am still about 2 versions behind. As far as Linux distros go, fedora is the proving ground for new things that will eventually make it into enterprise distros and other distros once they prove themselves usable and stable. For a guy like me fedora is fine but for the enterprise not so fine. They would be better served with something like Red Hat enterprise Linux(or it's present day equivalent) which comes with customer support.
    Last edited by n2ize; 09-15-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Which version of Win10 are most of you in-thread using...Home, Professional, Enterprise?

I'm getting ready to build an i3770-based system and as far as the requisite MS platform will likely install the lower-tier Pro offering. Don't need enhanced graphics or gaming capabilities.
    Win 10 Home, version 1903 on two laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    All 64 bit, Pro in the the AMD tower, Home on the laptops.
    Pro is tweaked with Windows insider stuff.

I gotta fire up/rebuild my Linux "mule" tower PC.

The mule is almost always open case, used to test and refurb drives mostly.
    Various distros from time to time, but man, it is a useful machine.

My one and only Mac (Power Computing "clone") got donated.
    Ran Beos like a champ, no OS-X in any form.

May build another tower at some point.
    My Electric Utilities provider, how do I love thee, let me count the ways:
    1. One Pentium 4 Tower, Win 7 running 24/4 in DVR / TV Server.
    2. One Quad-core Laptop, Win 10 running 24/7 on my desktop (TV client)
    3. One Dual-core MacBook Pro, Ubuntu 14.05 running 24/7 - SDR OP25 digital scanner.
    4. One Hot-Rod gaming PC and PlayStation-4 running 24/7/365. (my harmonics')
    5. One Quad-core Laptop, Win 10 that I travel with
    6. One Quad Core MacBook Pro occasionally used for MAMP and PHP
    7. One Dual-core Tower running Win 7 for digital modes in radio room.

Did I mention the managed Cisco 3200 Catalyst switch?

ETA: Dual-core laptop running Vista for Terminal / Putty / Cisco CLI.
    Last edited by koØm; 09-17-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Master Navigator
    I must say that I've always admired Linux, and diddled with it endlessly at various times.

When my kids were teenagers, I had a serious problem with the older one downloading music illegally. I was sure that the FBI would be at our doorstep. Every time he got on the computer, he would attract so much malware/spyware that the poor PC couldn't run under the burden of all the 'call home' features. I finally set up a recovery system so that when that PC got goobered up, I could push an F key and restore it to a nice clean, pristine condition, with only the apps he was supposed to use would run. This also allowed his Mom to use the computer. Each time I cleaned it off, his illicit music went with it. Eventually, after many repeats, he got the message, and viruses were very few after that. I'm fairly sure he moved his music business over to his buddy's house and used his computer.

Anyway, my daughter needed a computer that would do Microsoft Word and their presentation app for school reports. In order to keep her brother from sneaking into her room and screwing up her computer, I installed Linux as her operating system, with OpenOffice for all her app needs. OpenOffice produced MicroSatan compatible files, and it's all I used until LibreOffice got slightly better. She picked up how to use it right away, and was very happy with her very fast PC. I think she's something of a whiz kid with computers now - makes me, who worked in the industry for close to 40 years, look like an idjit.

I've never fully embraced Linux for desktop use, though. I could see it in an enterprise where the potential applications were limited. When I studied Unix many years ago, I was fully comfortable with building Icons and linking them to programs, but unless the Linux app does it for me using whatever tool, I don't have a lot of luck.

I may have to bite the bullet and really get down to business with Linux. I'm running Windows 8 on the most important computer in the house. It's our TV set, and it runs Microsoft Media Center. Media Center was discontinued after Win 7, but it runs on 8. It won't run on 10, dammit. It's better than Tivo for managing TV recordings. With a cheap TV tuner card, you can search through an online TV Guide, and choose which programs to record by title. It automatically omits recording reruns unless you tell it not to. It couldn't be easier to use, and I can't find a real equivalent anywhere. There is a Linux app that looks like it might work, but it would require a lot of maintenance. I might just throw in the towel and buy a real TiVo.

Quote Originally Posted by K0RGR View Post
    I must say that I've always admired Linux, and diddled with it endlessly at various times.

When my kids were teenagers, I had a serious problem with the older one downloading music illegally. I was sure that the FBI would be at our doorstep. Every time he got on the computer, he would attract so much malware/spyware that the poor PC couldn't run under the burden of all the 'call home' features. I finally set up a recovery system so that when that PC got goobered up, I could push an F key and restore it to a nice clean, pristine condition, with only the apps he was supposed to use would run. This also allowed his Mom to use the computer. Each time I cleaned it off, his illicit music went with it. Eventually, after many repeats, he got the message, and viruses were very few after that. I'm fairly sure he moved his music business over to his buddy's house and used his computer.

Anyway, my daughter needed a computer that would do Microsoft Word and their presentation app for school reports. In order to keep her brother from sneaking into her room and screwing up her computer, I installed Linux as her operating system, with OpenOffice for all her app needs. OpenOffice produced MicroSatan compatible files, and it's all I used until LibreOffice got slightly better. She picked up how to use it right away, and was very happy with her very fast PC. I think she's something of a whiz kid with computers now - makes me, who worked in the industry for close to 40 years, look like an idjit.

I've never fully embraced Linux for desktop use, though. I could see it in an enterprise where the potential applications were limited. When I studied Unix many years ago, I was fully comfortable with building Icons and linking them to programs, but unless the Linux app does it for me using whatever tool, I don't have a lot of luck.

I may have to bite the bullet and really get down to business with Linux. I'm running Windows 8 on the most important computer in the house. It's our TV set, and it runs Microsoft Media Center. Media Center was discontinued after Win 7, but it runs on 8. It won't run on 10, dammit. It's better than Tivo for managing TV recordings. With a cheap TV tuner card, you can search through an online TV Guide, and choose which programs to record by title. It automatically omits recording reruns unless you tell it not to. It couldn't be easier to use, and I can't find a real equivalent anywhere. There is a Linux app that looks like it might work, but it would require a lot of maintenance. I might just throw in the towel and buy a real TiVo.
    My eldest neicethanked me recently for introducing her to Linux way back early on when she was a child. I had set upoa desktop running Linux in the guest room and whenever she'd stayover the house she'd be using that Linux system. She has long since completed her undergrad work in Physics, is working full time, and taking some grad level courses in computer scence. She thanked me for giving her her first start in Linux and Unix-like OS'es such that she was already used to them when she came across them in the academic world.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Magdalena,New Mexico-- more left than right
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post

just got an email from IT Dept...they are replacing my work laptop running WIN 7 Enterprise with a new laptop running WIN 10 Enterprise....the only WIN box in the house...others run
    Arch Linux, MX Linux, or Ubuntu LTS Linux..even my not-so-tech-savvy Wife's laptop runs Ubuntu LTS....

come over to the dark side & try Linux...I recommend MX 18 Linux to start....https://mxlinux.org/
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    Arch Linux OS
    "If you're not living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space"--Unknown