Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now What?

Now What?

Last night at the club meeting, a friend who is in the process of downsizing gave me a TNC he no longer has room for.

It’s a Kantronics Communicator 3 Plus. Complete with power supply, speaker, and a bunch of cables.

Looks to be in good to great shape, though I haven’t had a chance to do anything with it yet.

Which brings up the title of the thread... now what? Not really sure what I can do with this unit at the moment. So I’m open to suggestions... ah, practical suggestions. (Besides, it’s too small to be a doorstop.)

Thoughts?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 2K!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Packet and APRS come to mind first and foremost. Otherwise,

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I get that the interwebz is super convenient, but if we're supposed to be the fix to when 'all else fails' I'm really surprised more hams don't have 2M packet BBS's up and running.
    I am surprised at such a sudden deterioration in a woman whose only ailment was a lazy anus.

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Last night at the club meeting, a friend who is in the process of downsizing gave me a TNC he no longer has room for.

It’s a Kantronics Communicator 3 Plus. Complete with power supply, speaker, and a bunch of cables.

Looks to be in good to great shape, though I haven’t had a chance to do anything with it yet.

Which brings up the title of the thread... now what? Not really sure what I can do with this unit at the moment. So I’m open to suggestions... ah, practical suggestions. (Besides, it’s too small to be a doorstop.)

Thoughts?
    I own that TNC... and it's a great KISS mode interface for APRS.

I'm an APRS nut :)
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    I own that TNC... and it's a great KISS mode interface for APRS.

I'm an APRS nut :)
    Oh?

Well, no offense, but I’ve never had much interest in APRS.

If that’s all it’s good for, I guess it’s just going to sit on the shelf.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.

Cutch 2K!!

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Oh?

Well, no offense, but I’ve never had much interest in APRS.

If that’s all it’s good for, I guess it’s just going to sit on the shelf.
    Well APRS and packet.

If you don't want it toss it my way :)
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Some reason I have an urge to try to resurrect my old packet setup of 20 years ago. Am I crazy?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

APRS is a viable mode and rather popular too. The TNC is obsolete now that digital is sound card driven, but used in KISS (transparent) mode may be used as an interface.

"I'm really surprised more hams don't have 2M packet BBS's up and running."
    You're surprised because you weren't around to witness what killed packet. First, a long time ago in a network far away came Packet Wars, The Radio Forwarding Empire vs. The Rebel Internet Forwarding Alliance aka Land Line Lids. That destroyed the network worldwide leaving a few islands here and there. As remote sysop of the Central NJ Node linking SNJ and EPA to NNJ, NYC and WW that changed callsigns so many times I got dizzy, I worked with my fellow sysops trying to find a path to the rest of the US and Canada to no avail. Then the North East BBS (NEBBS) network fell apart, we were barely hanging on. The last nail in the coffin came when 3 UK trolls attacked the remaining users and chased them away. All that was left were the robots, and I pulled the plug The Day The Packet Music Died.

"Some reason I have an urge to try to resurrect my old packet setup of 20 years ago. Am I crazy?"
    With all due respect sir, that you are.
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 08-03-2019 at 06:24 AM. Reason: massive spelling error
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Some reason I have an urge to try to resurrect my old packet setup of 20 years ago. Am I crazy?
    Oh, what a straight line... I’ll refrain. For now.

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 2K!!

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    Well APRS and packet.

If you don't want it toss it my way :)
    Wanna trade?

BAN THE DH!

Cutch 2K!!