Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Now What?

Cool. That's a good use for APRS IMO.

I have a TNC like Ron describes and some prehistoric laptop long discarded by a city government in the area that shall remain unnamed. The guy that gave me the laptop is long dead now (was 47 when he kicked it), not that that is relevant much, but he was into the whole ARES thing heavily at one time. It's been two decades since I've powered any of this stuff up, and the laptop batteries were shit even then. Now, with the packet network decimated, what could I do with any of this other than APRS? I bet the firmware in my TNC is ancient by then standards and honestly, I've come to discover I'm just not quite bright enough to fuck my way out of a busted rubber most days. Although I do have the occasional romantic notion of firing that stuff up and seeing whats going on if anything.

I'm deluding myself, aren't I?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

"Although I do have the occasional romantic notion of firing that stuff up and seeing whats going on if anything. I'm deluding myself, aren't I?"
    With respect, I would say you are. That's doing it the hard way, old stuff needs a good going over first, then hooking it all up is a waste of time because of its severe limitations. When packet died I replaced the hardware with software and monitored (no privileges on HF) the newer digital modes, it's all sound card driven now. First install the software of your choice, it's free, then build a simple radio interface using 1:1 audio isolation transformers or opto-isolators and a simple PTT trigger pictured. You don't need schematics to wire up the transformers, headphone jack to line input and line output to an attenuator pad and mic input, but preferably the auxiliary input if your radio has one. The latter is preferable because it eliminates experimenting with resistors to get the proper attenuation. Last but not least you can find where the digital sub bands are on the Internet, tune in, turn on, and have fun. (Bastardized hippy phrase inspired by Dr. Timothy Leary.)

20031115 0030 Scottie 1.JPG PTT interface.jpg

In case you're wondering how to call CQ in SSTV here's one I caught on 20M in 2005 using Scottie 1.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.