Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought eww telly.

Bought eww telly.

The old plasma is 5 years old, HD ready, and still has a good piccie, but since my cable and satellite bos have full hd it was time to get something new.
    Went for the Philips 43PUS6501 UHD and must say piccie is quite good, as is sound, even when i can't find the bloody speakers, just a small bezel around the fron, must be inside and directed to the back.

Smart tv, you won't get a manual, just online, but beeing the clever git i found most settings following my 2 braincells left...

No need for a rudy big screen, hate the big things, and i'm just 12 feet from the screen ans no neeed to keep moving my head left to righ to follow the motion...

Even SD quality improved, or maybe the old plasma had enough hours on the clock...
    My son picked up the plasma to use with his computer...

Discovering netflix in 5,4,3,2, ....

Just my rambling...
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

i just bought an uhd 4k 50" screen and sound system. i watch over the air, and streaming.sure looks purdeee.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

I still watch TV over the air with an IC-R7000, TV-7000 and a digital converter box.

Receives 75 and 23cm amateur-band fast-scan TV by bypassing the converter and dialing the appropriate memory frequency. Also works good on the numerous 900MHz video baby monitors and surveillance systems scattered around the area.

When the last analog color set in the house finally gives up the ghost I'll look into a flat-panel unit.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Welcome to the next level of boob tubery Cor. Didn't the plasma play hell with your rigs? Hopefully Mrs. Cor will enjoy it as well.

I use a 32" flat screen for reading this and everything else interwebs so I don't need to use my glasses, between 18-24" away. Mom would tell me to get back or I would go blind; too late - for many reasons!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

The old plasma i first bought started after a year to buss on 160 - 40, since we have 2 year full arranty here, Panasonic replaced it with a newer type that didn't give a buzz or peep in all the 5 years it was here.

It was power hungry using 300 watts per hour, the new Philips UHD 4K ambilight uses max 77 watts... my contribution to lower our energy use :)

It's the 43PUS6501/12 type http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/9245442 cost 639 Euro including 3 meter HDMI cable i needed extra.
    Connected it to internet through build in wifi.
    Did the software update and it worked nice.
    It is not a top range screen it's a good middle of the road screen, and affordable.
    A gazillion settings possible gamma each colour calibrating etc etc etc...
    Just did the basic settings i prefer and the rest comes later.
    What i didn't expect to say is the picture is better as the plasma, no artifacts, no blurring in fast scenes with HD input.

No microphone, no camera build in :)
    Handy remote control one side the usual telly buttons, the other side a complete keyboard.
    I divorced 4 years back, so it's ALL Mine to play with ;)
    Cable has all HD channels, the VU sat receiver is full HD as well, so enough to watch in full HD, netflix button on the remote, and the cable company has free movies on demand as well.
    Telly and sat receiver run on Android /Linux for the sat receiver.
    So, enough to play with, though i mostly watch 100 pre programmed channels, many are news channels from AL Jazeera to BBC German N24 etc etc.
    Ambilight needs to get used to, but isn't really annoying and can be regulated in intensity or put off.

Next spending 4 new tyres for the car, since it is 13 inch wheels very good tyres are less as 200 Euro ;)
    ( Hyundai Atoz 175/70 R13 ;)) it's from 06-2000 and has 55 K miles on thee meter, so just run in after 17 years.
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Welcome to the next level of boob tubery Cor. Didn't the plasma play hell with your rigs? Hopefully Mrs. Cor will enjoy it as well.

I use a 32" flat screen for reading this and everything else interwebs so I don't need to use my glasses, between 18-24" away. Mom would tell me to get back or I would go blind; too late - for many reasons!
    I quit when the need for glasses became apparent.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I still watch TV over the air with an IC-R7000, TV-7000 and a digital converter box.

Receives 75 and 23cm amateur-band fast-scan TV by bypassing the converter and dialing the appropriate memory frequency. Also works good on the numerous 900MHz video baby monitors and surveillance systems scattered around the area.

When the last analog color set in the house finally gives up the ghost I'll look into a flat-panel unit.
    I remember us bitching about the spark gap ban.

cul de n8tb

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    I remember us bitching about the spark gap ban.
    Dang old hadooken spark I tell ya what.

Well, that buy was 2 years back, decided to get a 50" UHD telly from LG LG8500/ LG9000/ LG85/ LG90 as it is named around the world.

Good piccie after installing and calibrating today, has a decent audio inbuild system with 20 Watt bass and 2 x 10 Watt middle/high range speakers.
    Still use the 2.1 system connected to it though, internal sound is good forevery day use, not so for more dedicated movie watching.

My son using the old philips as monitor now.....43" is decent enough..