Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lunch box QSO

Never owned a Lunchbox but a number of Clegg and Lafayette sets were active in the area in the 70s and 80s.

6M AM for me these days is a TS-660 or an FT-90x/FT-980 driving an FTV-901R, and from the car an IC-7000. It was (and is) a fun band. Hopefully I'll get to scare up another AM QSO there.

Good work on the restoration, George!
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

"Wonder what else he put in his mouth... "
    Around that time it was mostly Mia Farrow, but later it was jail bait Soon-Yi Previn and The Lawyer Bait Kids.

The only times I even heard 6M AM were twice during exceptionally strong and long lasting openings. It seems like it took exceptional magic to bring dusty AM rigs, mostly Collins out of the woodwork. I tried going back with my Icom 706Mk2G to no avail, maybe the purists didn't like the sound of carrier inserted SSB, or maybe I didn't have it adjusted right, I don't know. Now If I had a late run Johnson Valiant II rest assured it would have been tuned up right! With plate modulated angel music there's little room for error doing AM Gangsta shit.
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 06-02-2019 at 06:08 AM.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

I'm told the llg especially doesn't do well over about 25 watts carrier on AM. I don't know personally, I suppose I could find some cbers around here to help me out with a good buddy radio check.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Neither the Mark, nor any other 100W SSB rig can do well with more than 25W resting carrier, and that's pushing the envelope. Rule No. 1 of AM Gangsta shit is "Thou shalt not send a shitty signal or misfortune shall fall upon you." Theoretically, and everything is theoretical without a monitor scope and an old Handbook that shows waveforms, when AF gain without processing is set for 100W PEP SSB, with 25W resting carrier it should expand to 100W PEP "AM". It should be without processing because it fills in the waveform making it effectively louder on the air, but filled in modulation cannot be tracked with a meter, not even a peak reading one because there are no peaks. You can't see peaks and valleys with a scope either, and when readability is high it's a bit hard on the ears too. Put another way, when you're coming in 5 & 9 he'll tell you turn the processing off.

Until I got the Mark my only mode was FM, I was a newbie on the 2M repeaters and my 6M rig was a re-tuned GE 100W Mastr 2 Low Band commercial rig good for 90W on 6. The Mark opened the door to more bands and modes, it opened the world on 6M SSB, but I wasn't going to sit on my thumbs waiting for a Heathkit HO-10 scope that couldn't come soon enough. It would have been nice to see what my faux AM signal looked like, that would have given me a good idea what it sounded like. The meter put me in the ball park, but the only place you can hit a home run from is the batter's box.

CBers with good buddy radiddio checks are good for a face palm, if it doesn't sound like a cheese grater mic with a roger beep it's not loud enough.

Modulation FB OM.jpg
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.