Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Philco model 39-71

SOP. I don't screw around with 80 years old paper or electrolytic capacitors. Change them now, and never have to worrying about them failing. If it works, Don't turn it on again? That's like having a classic car that never gets started. No thanks, It will be used a lot, just like all my other radios. BTW, the filaments in this radio are wired in parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by w2amr View Post
    AWESOME!!!!!!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

"SOP. I don't screw around with 80 years old paper or electrolytic capacitors."
    When you get to be 80 years old will you be a leaky paper cap or a dried out electrolytic? (;->) I see you're not a collector nor interested in somewhere down the line selling it to a collector, nor even donating it to a museum eventually. It's nice to listen to 80 year old broadcasts... oh, that was The Twilight Zone... but what will you do when one of those 1V filaments burns open? Where will you find a replacement?

Oh I know it's a current hog with parallel filaments. That's why I mentioned a d cell would go flat quickly. Same thing with B+ from 2 45V batteries in series, the first portable radios used big batteries that made them rather heavy, about the same as your average boom box.

Classic cars, interesting you brought that up. There are two kinds of museums, Harrah's with static displays, and then there is Jay Leno.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

So do you have a room full of radios that don't work because you can't replace any components ?
    BTW, follow this link to buy all the 1V tubes you want.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/6746741...BoCiKkQAvD_BwE