Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Xenia this year?

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    i've been in no rideshare that's been even remotely as skanky as the best taxi i've been in. surprised to be able to say this, but true.
    I agree. Had to park the Ranger for a while and used Lyft and Uber a fair amount for short trips. Every one of those cars was as clean as a whistle.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Probably for two reasons.
    1. Pride of ownership, since it's really a personal ride.
    2. Have to have nice accommodations to keep the high ratings up.

IMO it's more than a job to the amateur professional taxi driver.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Beach Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Probably for two reasons.
    1. Pride of ownership, since it's really a personal ride.
    2. Have to have nice accommodations to keep the high ratings up.

IMO it's more than a job to the amateur professional taxi driver.
    I had heard that the vehicles must be no more than 3 years old. So you won't be picked up in an old jalopy.
    You don't need a parachute to skydive. But you do need a parachute to skydive, twice.

I'm not sure that three years old is the right figure, but it's pretty close. And, of course, many people get a separate car just for their rideshare work (which I think is a bit bonkers, but whatever) ...
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Beach Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    I'm not sure that three years old is the right figure, but it's pretty close. And, of course, many people get a separate car just for their rideshare work (which I think is a bit bonkers, but whatever) ...
    I wonder if that so that they can deduct expenses for their taxes? Not sure.

Our local FB page has a guy who is more of a "low-key" limo service. Rides to the airport(s), etc. He's not connected with Uber, etc, but lots of locals have used him with no issues.
    You don't need a parachute to skydive. But you do need a parachute to skydive, twice.

Quote Originally Posted by N2SR View Post
    Our local FB page has a guy who is more of a "low-key" limo service. Rides to the airport(s), etc. He's not connected with Uber, etc, but lots of locals have used him with no issues.
    We have one in my neighborhood whose owner(s) lost the lease on a commercial building in a nearby city and then tried to move four of them plus support operations into a smallish residential property. The congestion got so bad that one of their fleet was towed, all the while a co-owner (the elderly mother of one of the principals) was crying a plethora of crocodile tears to both the hook driver and local law enforcement.

Several things can be learned from this exercise: The city always wants - and gets - its cut; running a business in a residential-zoned area is a sure-fire way to draw unwanted attention to yourself; continually blocking a fire hydrant with your illegal operation is an even better way to pi$$ off the locals...and lastly, your limos might beat the rap but they ain't beating the ride. Or the impound fees.

If one knows where and when to look, it's funny watching the business play Wack-a-Mole vis parking and storage. They might grab anyone's lot as a temporary overnight thing...or advertise one of their limos for sale at a business that's for sale itself.
    Last edited by N8YX; 03-23-2019 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Grammar
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Beach Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    We have one in my neighborhood whose owner(s) lost the lease on a commercial building in a nearby city and then tried to move four of them plus support operations into a smallish residential property. The congestion got so bad that one of their fleet was towed, all the while a co-owner (the elderly mother of one of the principals) was crying a plethora of crocodile tears to both the hook driver and local law enforcement.

Several things can be learned from this exercise: The city always wants - and gets - its cut; running a business in a residential-zoned area is a sure-fire way to draw unwanted attention to yourself; continually blocking a fire hydrant with your illegal operation is an even better way to pi$$ off the locals...and lastly, your limos might beat the rap but they ain't beating the ride. Or the impound fees.

If one knows where and when to look, it's funny watching the business play Wack-a-Mole vis parking and storage. They might grab anyone's lot as a temporary overnight thing...or advertise one of their limos for sale at a business that's for sale itself.
    Oh, I agree!

But I live in a very rural area, and the local guy only advertises on Facebook. It's also not his full time line of work. Just something extra that he does in his spare time. His rates are half of what the typical airport shuttles charge for a direct trip are.