Thread: ARRL WTF

ARRL WTF

Today the ARRL announced that they are shipping a new book, HF Dipole Antennas For Amateur Radio and I have to wonder how they stretched “cut a wire to length using this simple equation”—an equation which we all had to know to get our tickets in the first place—into book length.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

"If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Let alone 20 'different' dipoles in three distinct categories highlighted in QST since 2000. I'm wondering many things right about now....

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Beach Bum
    And most times, I shake my head at the articles in QST. I suppose that most of them have to go through some sort of technical review, but....wow. "This is how I built my new fangled doohickey. I just do happened to have this one of a kind unique item in my junk box. You can also build one for yourself if you can find that same one of a kind doohickey."

But the one that really got me was the guy who wrote into Hinks and Kinks about lowering the filament voltage in his Ameritron amplifier by adding 20 feet of wire inside the amp.
    You don't need a parachute to skydive. But you do need a parachute to skydive, twice.

I rather use the low band dxing book for low band antenna's from ON4UN, RSGB handbook antenna's old ARRL yearbooks, and Karl Rothammel antennabook.
    I have more, but these span all you need to know.
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    I rather use the low band dxing book for low band antenna's from ON4UN, RSGB handbook antenna's old ARRL yearbooks, and Karl Rothammel antennabook.
    I have more, but these span all you need to know.
    The one thing these really don't get into (IMHO) is sleeve trap construction - such as is used with commercial multiband Yagis - but I agree with your choices. Everything but the RSGB volumes are sitting in my library and I've a number of commercially focused antenna and feedline books as well.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N2SR View Post
    And most times, I shake my head at the articles in QST. I suppose that most of them have to go through some sort of technical review, but....wow. "This is how I built my new fangled doohickey. I just do happened to have this one of a kind unique item in my junk box. You can also build one for yourself if you can find that same one of a kind doohickey."

But the one that really got me was the guy who wrote into Hinks and Kinks about lowering the filament voltage in his Ameritron amplifier by adding 20 feet of wire inside the amp.
    “How to Build A Compact 160m Dipole For Your Apartment Using a U.S. Spaceforce-surplus Flux Capacitor.”
    Last edited by NQ6U; 02-20-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Dang, i'm just out of U.S. Spaceforce-surplus Flux Capacitors, i guess my 77 feet vertical has to do the job with 3000 feet of radial wires in/on the ground...

My old coworker Roger (W8VE) worked HI on 160M CW using a 10-watt K2; antenna was a largish inverted L with lots of radials.

You aren't going to do this on an Isotron or some other compact design.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by K6BSO View Post
    “How to Build A Compact 160m Dipole For Your Apartment Using a U.S. Spaceforce-surplus Flux Capacitor.”
    Sez the current presidential dynasty...
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman