Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has contesting helped or hurt ham radio?

the only thing that makes me lol about contesting is when they call it radiosport
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Radiosport? THIS is radiosport, THIS is a contest, this is a shootout with a blowout! Unfortunately video stored on a computer can't be posted, so I grabbed a frame from a video in my arcs 'n sparks folder that is the cut to the chase version of a long wait for the action one. You wouldn't want the URL and sit through several minutes of nothing only to see a few seconds of arcs dancing from antenna to antenna.

1-29-2019 16-32-14.jpg
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Beach Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    the only thing that makes me lol about contesting is when they call it radiosport
    obviously you have zero idea

https://www.amazon.com/Contact-Sport...dio+sport+book
    You don't need a parachute to skydive. But you do need a parachute to skydive, twice.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Radiosport? THIS is radiosport, THIS is a contest, this is a shootout with a blowout! Unfortunately video stored on a computer can't be posted, so I grabbed a frame from a video in my arcs 'n sparks folder that is the cut to the chase version of a long wait for the action one. You wouldn't want the URL and sit through several minutes of nothing only to see a few seconds of arcs dancing from antenna to antenna.

1-29-2019 16-32-14.jpg
    There's a lot of brain damage in that crowd...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

A little off topic but competition of even the most mundane things is just part of the human condition. I mean, what if people who switched to electronic cigarettes held competitions to see who could produce the biggest plumes of vapor or do tricks?
    Oh wait ....... they do that.

003-A.jpg

Human nature being the way it is, contributes to the phrase "Hold my beer and watch this" being uttered from sea to shining sea. In the case of the shining sea on my side of things, that would be from Fukishima.

fukishima radiation.jpg

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Human nature being the way it is, contributes to the phrase "Hold my beer and watch this" being uttered from sea to shining sea. In the case of the shining sea on my side of things, that would be from Fukishima.

fukishima radiation.jpg
    The solution to pollution is dilution ...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Not in the case of radioactive water still being released by the Fukiyou disaster, look at those colors. Cherrynoble was bad, but a few men sacrificed their lives to cap off the reactor, Fukiyou is too near the ocean and too hot for anybody to get near. Nobody has any idea where this is going.

Backing up a bit, those two and others are too dumb to quit smoking before it kills them. Nicotine is a deadly poison no matter the delivery system. Like me they didn't listen to their bodies telling them not to breathe smoke, but they forced them into submission.

"There's a lot of brain damage in that crowd... "
    There was a lot of brain damage before they gathered in that parking lot. You don't need boxes full of "pills" pushing horribly distorted kilowatts into a phased "Rod Of God" array to be heard on the other side of the parking lot, especially when delay lines are mismatched puttin high RF voltage at the base of the antennas. Last night I watched a Firestick matching transformer go up in flames for the same reason. CB was my stepping stone to Amateur Radio, especially experimenting with various antenna designs, I learned, they didn't.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Radio sport, isn't that a fox hunt?
    I thought religions were prophet based organizations.
    What do you mean I am out of money? I still have checks!
    Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic

Quote Originally Posted by AA1OH View Post
    Radio sport, isn't that a fox hunt?
    That's how I read it.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful