Thread: Retrieve files from a no start computer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Retrieve files from a no start computer

Here's my dilemma. The Dell took a big shit on me and the odds are the extended warranty people will take the machine away AS garbage (oddly placed Star Trek reference). So, any ideas how to fish out the data? Wishful thinking on my part?

The research I've done so far is preliminary but the symptoms are documented out there. What happens is your box won't start so you unplug the A.C. and let it discharge. A few minutes later you put the line cord back into the power supply and without any prompt on my part the machine tries to start up but this only lasts two seconds. Pushing the button by the PS power indicator lamp will run the fans on full but nothing else. Can't get to the BIOS to check for any errors (not like I would know what to do with it anyway) and the error code scheme isn't throwing any codes. Timing really blows chunks too, just started the Spring semester of online college.

I'm throwing this out there to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. Coincidentally, I downloaded a shit ton of software development stuff before I shut it down last night making me wonder if there was a connection here. So, wtf do I consider next? Did I mention I'm frustrated?

System specs - Dell XPS 8900, 32gb ram, 3,1ghz, 1tb memory. What am I missing here?
    Last edited by WZ7U; 01-09-2019 at 02:40 AM.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful