Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retrieve files from a no start computer

The XYL didn't fry your machine, you did. A common mistake is overlooking the power settings, I have mine set to when the power goes off the computer stays off until I start it manually. That came in handy recently when the maintenance guys decided to test the genset over and over and over ad infinitum for days on end. When the power went off that was it for the computer, then when they stopped firkin around I had to run chkdsk /r on both drives to clean up the mess they made.

Now to Lord Of The Flies, a bath will fix that. (;->) Seriously, Seagate is an excellent HDD, I have 2 in here, a 1TB primary (a bit of a mistake, that's WAY overkill) and a 4TB secondary data drive (good choice). Unfortunately even USB 3 runs at a snail's pace for backup, if you're backing a lot of data you're looking at a whole day devoted to it. There's a much faster way, first you need to install a bay for a removable HDD (pictured)bay for removable HDD.JPG and select a drive with sufficient capacity to go in it. Next you need a suitable software suite, if you're running Windblows Active @ Disk Image is just the ticket, if you're a Linux man you'll have to find the equivalent to compress and store entire drives, AND create a boot stick (a small USB thumb drive will do). This most effective sort of backup calls for running outside the OS and any AV/AM scans that hang a mill stone around the neck of transferring data.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Let me come to your house and slam your breakers in rapid fire succession in 2005.

Oh holee sheep shit. Power fluctuations are of the devil indeed. This Seagate I think runs on USB2, so it ought to take a week to input 200GB. Oh boy, but at least it's on the way. Free is a very good price and better than nothing, well, except for a startup disc I have for the OS. Once I get my house in order (on too many facets) I really should do the dock thing since I have the room in the box, and I need to come up with a way to keep the dirt and critter fuzz out of the box. The computer is on the table top as it is, but living behind the mill and having several canine shitbubbles has the propensity to cover everything with shitty dust even with all the windows closed and bathed regularly like. I considered using some sort of paper towel conflagration over the vents but with my luck I will forget and the clogged paper towels will find their way into the box and viola, more problems. Hey, at least these are the problems and not trying to figure out who to rob to finance a new machine midway into the semester, so there is that. I'm just glad the initial panic has subsided. I appreciate your feedback fellas, I read it all and take it to heart. Hell, sometimes (most times) I even learn something, for which I am also grateful. Thanks!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    A common mistake is overlooking the power settings, I have mine set to when the power goes off the computer stays off until I start it manually.
    I went through the windblows ten power menus and can't find that particular option. As usual, I'm probably missing something. But I thought that was a given.....

Like that post was...

"I went through the windblows ten power menus and can't find that particular option."
    Because it's not in Windblows.
    "As usual, I'm probably missing something."
    You're missing the BIOS, there's lots of stuff in there you really shouldn't mess with, and a few you really should. Pressing F8 in that split second between the boot screen and the Windblows start screen works with this mobo, with Dell I haven't a clue. Then you have to ask the right questions to get the right answers, maybe someone here or someone out there on the cloud knows Dell.

I tried to tell you about that gauze filter in front of the intake fan that cools the drives in the above picture and all other unused fan mounts sealed with tape so air goes in the front and out the back twice, and got THIS mess twice. That's clue enough, I'm not about having it screw up thrice. No pictures, no screenshots, no more cockups.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    "I went through the windblows ten power menus and can't find that particular option."
    Because it's not in Windblows.
    "As usual, I'm probably missing something."
    You're missing the BIOS, there's lots of stuff in there you really shouldn't mess with, and a few you really should. Pressing F8 in that split second between the boot screen and the Windblows start screen works with this mobo, with Dell I haven't a clue. Then you have to ask the right questions to get the right answers, maybe someone here or someone out there on the cloud knows Dell.

I tried to tell you about that gauze filter in front of the intake fan that cools the drives in the above picture and all other unused fan mounts sealed with tape so air goes in the front and out the back twice, and got THIS mess twice. That's clue enough, I'm not about having it screw up thrice. No pictures, no screenshots, no more cockups.
    Shit man, not sure what exactly you're referring to, maybe you have me confused with someone else here because I clearly don't remember having that conversation with you. Concerning your picture its kinda hard to pick out details like gauze in the intake, but thanks for the great idea.

Anything else you want to get off your chest?

Like that post was...

Since my early start in computers i regularly cleaned up the insides, cleaned fan's or replaced them if needed, keep the dust out of your stuff including transceivers PSU's and P.A.'s , they will reward you with longer faultfree life.
    Even this lappy gets a clean out every 4 to 5 months including taking the fan out and clean the heatsink heatpipe and fan.
    My lappy is on a plate with 2 extra fans keeping the underside cool as well, so the inside keeps cool as well.
    My last laptop survived 8 years 12 hours a day on that way without a hickup.

My son's game computer has 6 fans that need regularly cleaning including cleaning the heat sinks, and the rest of the innards.
    I run a backup on my spare USB H.D. every month, not much gets added but that way i'm always good for a relative recent install.

I now, as long it works we mostly don't care, only when you need it the misssing back up kills you...
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I hooked up this Seagate drive and while the OS sees it, the drive won't execute Setup. It cries about not playing nice with GUID Partition Tables. Won't play nice with discs using GPT. I bet this is because this unit is almost ten years old NOS and things have (obviously) come a ways since. I have a support ticket in, it will be interesting to see if there is a fix.

Fly Terrabytes, be free... 2019-01-11_1353.png
    Last edited by WZ7U; 01-11-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Like that post was...

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Since my early start in computers i regularly cleaned up the insides, cleaned fan's or replaced them if needed, keep the dust out of your stuff including transceivers PSU's and P.A.'s , they will reward you with longer faultfree life.
    Even this lappy gets a clean out every 4 to 5 months including taking the fan out and clean the heatsink heatpipe and fan.
    My lappy is on a plate with 2 extra fans keeping the underside cool as well, so the inside keeps cool as well.
    My last laptop survived 8 years 12 hours a day on that way without a hickup.

My son's game computer has 6 fans that need regularly cleaning including cleaning the heat sinks, and the rest of the innards.
    I run a backup on my spare USB H.D. every month, not much gets added but that way i'm always good for a relative recent install.

I now, as long it works we mostly don't care, only when you need it the misssing back up kills you...
    I usually keep up on it pretty good, just that this last year I was preoccupied with recovering from this effin zipper they put in my chest and quite frankly forgot all about the computer. Never again.

Like that post was...

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post

I hooked up this Seagate drive and while the OS sees it, the drive won't execute Setup. It cries about not playing nice with GUID Partition Tables. 2019-01-11_1353.png
    reformat it. there's nothing on the disk, and it will be formatted to defaults that will work on your system. you may have to open Disk Manager or Device Manager to reformat it ... or you can just open a cmd window and use FORMAT.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane