Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Birthday, 'suddenseer'!

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Happy belated!

Glad that FL agrees with you. One of these days I'll get down there for Bike Week or Biketoberfest and perhaps we'll get to compare notes.
    Bike week is coming. I plan on getting a 2 bdrm place, so I can put you up, and parking is a premium. I spent yesterday detailing the hog. The trip down through the "blizzard" in the Smokies was unkind. I have about 90% of the little specks off. I have discovered the non chrome after market chromium plastic is pitted. The aftermarket light racks used that crap attached to the light covers. It looks like chrome, I knew the first time I saw it years ago that it wasnt. The factory cover over the main headlight is chrome. After having to get out of the way of traffic, I am glad that my dad did a total S&S mod. Cam, carb, heads, push rods, the total package. This bike has the most unique sound that the factory engines don't have. When I ride with others, I can see 20-30 heads turn at the same time when they hear the hog roar.

I plan on pursuing my ham radio hobby. The place I am looking at is a HOA, that allows ham radio flag pole verticals, with buried/hidden radials. I have made stealthy outdoor radiators before, I hate them, but life is one big compromise.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    ..I spent yesterday detailing the hog. The trip down through the "blizzard" in the Smokies was unkind. I have about 90% of the little specks off. I have discovered the non chrome after market chromium plastic is pitted. The aftermarket light racks used that crap attached to the light covers. It looks like chrome, I knew the first time I saw it years ago that it wasnt. The factory cover over the main headlight is chrome.
    I have some OEM take-offs from a few assorted late 90s Softail models here. Including a headlight assembly, risers and a couple other things. As close to "new" as you'll get. Let me know what you need if anything.

One of my Valkyrie Club friends rode through Donner Pass on his F6 one year. Said it took him 6 weeks to get the corrosion off the wheels.

I plan on pursuing my ham radio hobby. The place I am looking at is a HOA, that allows ham radio flag pole verticals, with buried/hidden radials. I have made stealthy outdoor radiators before, I hate them, but life is one big compromise.
    Here's what I would do:

Look around for an IC-751A/R-71A, an IC-745/R-70 or an IC-7200/R-75 pair. Mate the former two with their respective IC-PS30/IC-SP3 accessories and find an AH-2 remote tuner...OR mate the latter with its matching PS/speaker combo and an AH-4.

Your HF antenna will be something along the lines of a Zero Five vertical. That is, 43ft tall and a flagpole in construction and appearance, with an insulated base. Put the tuner at the antenna base, in a waterproof enclosure. Get as many random-length wires underneath it as you can. Fly Old Glory proudly at the top. For VHF/UHF work, several companies offer (or offered) an antenna whose radome resembles a soil stack extension. That will get you 50/144/440 FM simplex, and a set of loops in the attic will get you 50/144/432 for SSB/CW work.

If you go with a '751A/R-71A pair, treat yourself to a companion IC-R7000 for upper HF through upper UHF coverage. They won't track trunking systems without a lot of extra work (and you'll need a pair of them to boot) but for non-trunking duties they're hard to beat.

With an inverted L for an antenna, my '745/R-70/AH-2 is a darn nice Field Day setup. If I could only have one configuration to operate, that outfit would be in my top 3 choices.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Is 160 meters restricted in Florida? I have an interest in it only because I hang wire for the AM BCB. Monitoring of course.