Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yaesu "two meter" radios

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yaesu "two meter" radios

Not a thread about things which specifically cover 144-148 MHz, though one of them does.

Rather, some 80s-era equipment...beginning with the FT-One. That's the only rig of the style I don't own (and frankly, I'm not sure I want one - given its various design quirks).

This week finally saw me putting the last of those acquisitions into the lineup. When I first operated an FT-726R in my friend Jim's (KA8HAK) shack in the early 90s I became impressed with the thing. The mid 2000s saw several of them make their way into the lineup. I had to have a matching HF rig, and an equal number of FT-980s arrived here one by one. As did their peripherals.

Based on user observations, I then took the plunge and got hold of a couple of FT-102s plus peripherals. Although the rig will put out close to 200w PEP on 40, it was only "loud" on the low bands. I wanted to be LOUD. Or at least audible above the noise floor.

What sparked the latest arrival was the purchase of a new-old-stock FT-980 to FL-7000 control cable. I didn't think I could find an FL-7000 readily, but...The Ham Station came through. That is, until UPS managed to lose the friggin' package in transit from the seller to here.

Refund in hand, I found another and finally got it into the lineup yesterday. The leftmost operating position is now predominately Yaesu: FT-980/FL-7000 for 80-40-20-15, FT-102 for 20-17-12-10, FT-726R for 15-12-10-2-432 and an FT-726R for 6-2-440. All of this stuff has 'two meters' - S meter, Power Out, ALC and various other functions monitored concurrently. The style disappeared until the FT-9000, DZ-Kit Sienna and IC-7800 showed up in the marketplace.

A Stoner Pro-40 rounds out the operating position for use on 11M SSB...and it has dual meters as well. A pair of Kenwood SW-2000s monitor antenna conditions (see a pattern here?).

Hopefully I'll get to work some Islanders on the bands with the gear.
    Last edited by N8YX; 12-22-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Grammar
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Cool stuff Fred. Did I ever show you my 2 meter Viking II?
    viking2.jpg

Whatcha got for a receiver for that, George?

And I can do around 5-600w PEP AM on 40 and 75 if you and John are so inclined...
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

A National NC 173 is paired up with the Viking II. Maybe we can AM sked sometime. But, I would probably use the Johnson 500 if we do. It puts a bit more fire in the wire.

Oh WOW, that combo suits an AM Gangsta well, but an NC-303 would do better in my experience. So what do you do for a VFO, a Viking 122 or are you rock bound? BTW if you need more fire in the wire you need an antenna. I recommend a grounded vertical folded monopole for that nice low vertical takeoff angle, unless you stick to 10M a dipole is a cloud warmer. BTW that NC-173 was my first general coverage communication receiver, much better than chassis from antique radios. It has an interesting history behind it, here's Tor Heyerdahl at the 7W station aboard the Kon Tiki, you might want to read up on it. So there you have it, if you need more fire in the wire you're doing something wrong.

Kon Tiki radio 1.jpg
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Oh WOW, that combo suits an AM Gangsta well, but an NC-303 would do better in my experience. So what do you do for a VFO, a Viking 122 or are you rock bound? BTW if you need more fire in the wire you need an antenna. I recommend a grounded vertical folded monopole for that nice low vertical takeoff angle, unless you stick to 10M a dipole is a cloud warmer. BTW that NC-173 was my first general coverage communication receiver, much better than chassis from antique radios. It has an interesting history behind it, here's Tor Heyerdahl at the 7W station aboard the Kon Tiki, you might want to read up on it. So there you have it, if you need more fire in the wire you're doing something wrong.

Kon Tiki radio 1.jpg
    Yes. I have a 122 vfo with the viking II
    I also have an NC 303 which is paired with my Valiant .
    I have two excellent HF antennas. An 8 band butternut vertical , and an inverted parallel dipole, that I use on 40, 60, and 75 meters.
    QRO vs QRP on 40 or 75 AM? It's a no brainer. What would you rather listen to, A Ranger or a Johnson 500?

I got ahold of another FL-7000 over Christmas break (3 button version) and it's now inline with the FT-980. With this radio driving it, the setup is capable of an honest 600w PEP on 75 and 40. The other (4 button version) is going to get a little maintenance before being put away as a spare.

Should 20/12M cooperate I'm QRV with the FT-102 and its 200W out. Dennis and Eddie, a sked might be doable.
    Last edited by N8YX; 01-06-2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Grammar

I've been away for a while, please pardon the late reply.
    "QRO vs QRP on 40 or 75 AM?"
    It all depends on bend conditions.
    "It's a no brainer."
    You don't need a brain, just good propagation, a low noise floor, and good equipment. Once upon a time (as stories always open) I was listening to a propagation test. The mode was AM, frequency 3885, transmitter location Annapolis, MD, receiver location Elizabeth, NJ with other receiving locations as far away as Massachusetts. Power started at 5W and lowered in increments, the lowest power at which an intelligible transmission was copied... get this... 25uW.
    "What would you rather listen to, A Ranger or a Johnson 500?"
    When AM Gangstas ruled the airwaves and Timtron's SBE (Slop Bucket Eliminator) kept it that way 100W was the tested power shelf, any more was wasted.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Thread bump (now with pic):

Yaesu-Section.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Thread bump (now with pic):

Yaesu-Section.jpg
    Lots of 2 meters there. Nice set up Fred.