Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AVG Antivirus Ripping Us Off

AVG Antivirus Ripping Us Off

I had AVG Free installed on my wife's computer for a while during 2018 but it hasn't been on there for months.
    This morning they went through her PP account to her bank account to take out 89.99 and 119.99. Uh, we never bought their software, never made any transactions so that they would have that information in the first place.
    Let me say that again, we never used PP or her bank account to make any transactions when we used the free version for about 6 or 7 months before I removed the software. Clearly, there appears to be hacking of her computer going on by AVG because none of these transactions were ever authorized by her and again, she never GAVE them information to link her PP and bank account to AVG.

She's talking to the bank right now. This is ridiculous.

Once you clear this up, remove your banking information from PayPal, attach a credit card to the account; change your middle name to "Charge Back" and let the credit card companies fight with the PayPal web bank.

In fact, I don't recommend PayPal for ANY transaction online.....go straight to credit card with no middle (PayPal) man.

This is something new, I used AVG for a couple of months and thankfully didn't get robbed, but I had so much trouble with it I removed every trace (that ain't easy with AV software that insinuates itself into everything) and installed ESET. Installation and setup is a breeze, I haven't had one problem with it, I'm entirely satisfied. Oh it blocks dangerous web pages (IP addresses) that install adware so common these days.

That's an antivirus, you still need anti-malware, that's where Malwarebytes comes in. I also use AdwCleaner and Hitman Pro for that one-two punch. When Lou Reed sang "you're so vicious" he was singing about me.

On edit: "In fact, I don't recommend PayPal for ANY transaction online.....go straight to credit card with no middle (PayPal) man."
    I second that motion, can I get an aye?
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 12-03-2018 at 06:11 PM.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Update: Avast charged my account as well. I stopped using all that software back in July. I made sure to cancel it all as well as unchecking the auto payments box. When I check on it today through my log in with their website, it was checked. I had to go to the bank to protest the charges and also had to cancel my bank card.

My xyl never had any dealings with Avast and AVG was only on her machine for a few short months, the FREE version. They managed to get all her account information and dealt with her as if she had the full suite of all their products to the tune of $210 in 2 payments. Never even had the trial version. Anyway, she also went up to the bank and found out those charges were still pending so they were able to put a stop on it. That was purely criminal on their part, AVG. Now she's going to have to deal with paypal and tell them exactly what happened, after I've spent the day figuring it out.

Tell your friends to avoid these companies whether it's free or subscription. Apparently this is a common practice on their part.

Forgot to add, after removing AVG from the xyl's computer, Avast tried to install itself.
    I have never had Avast or AVG on this computer that I'm using. Avast tried to install itself after it tried to nail the xyl's machine.
    Now, that's the whole story ... so far.

Avast ye hearties! ARRR ARRR ARRR! PULEASE don't remind me of that disaster Avast! It gave me more fits than AVG with all those infernal pop ups trying to coerce me into buying the paid version that only adds useless bells and whistles, the free version is the core AV software and is all that's needed. Did I mention how careful you have to be when installing it as it tries to trick you into the paid version? No? Well, now I have. It's a very effective AV but more annoying than a live in mother in law. Avast sucks, avoid it like the plague!

Poor Charles, you seem to have such bad luck with computers I strongly suspect they're badly infected. Frankly things trying to install themselves without you installing them is the red flag. I suggest you run scans with the software I have presently, (read my previous posts) they are the best out of many I have tried and are high rated by users. If you use Windblows it's advisable you start it in safe mode, better yet load the software on a bootable USB data stick and dust your broom outside the OS. Oh, I hope I don't have to tell you never make your implements of destruction on an infected computer, infections migrate across drives. If push comes to shove there is the good old HDD douche, format and reinstall everything.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    This is something new, I used AVG for a couple of months and thankfully didn't get robbed, but I had so much trouble with it I removed every trace (that ain't easy with AV software that insinuates itself into everything) and installed ESET. Installation and setup is a breeze, I haven't had one problem with it, I'm entirely satisfied. Oh it blocks dangerous web pages (IP addresses) that install adware so common these days.
    I've used Eset for some years and had no problems. When I asked to add extra equipment after the first three computers (there are only 2 users but stuff all over the place) I was given special discounts. They send out an early warning when your subscription is due to expire.

Today I realized that both AVG and Avast made holes in my wireless router while I had them installed. They are trying to install themselves on any machine that comes online on my network.

When are you going to disinfect the system?
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Mmmm, disinfectant..

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful