Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AVG Antivirus Ripping Us Off

"I hope Windows Defender really has stepped up their game like so many people have told me before because I don't know what my other option are."

I have my doubts about Windblows Defender, I heard negative reports including the latest one from my guru who built this wee beastie. When I told him I went through AVG and Avast and was using Windows Defender in the interim and asked his advice on what to use. WD goes for wont, it has few extra features, gives many false positives, and is not easy to manage. Also it lacks deep customization options, and scores lower in lab tests as compared to its competitors. He told me about ESET, I installed and set it up and it disabled WD as does any third party AV. It works well with Malwarebytes and both are set to scan on schedule, they're not bloatware or resource hogs, they work quietly in the background with no noticeable effect on any work I'm doing.

So there you have it, a sure fire tried and true, highly rated and approved (also by your friendly neighborhood grumpy old bastid) protection, real time and scheduled scan against every bit of crap known to Man. Since nothing is 100% guaranteed foolproof it pays to have a good backup system to restore the drive(s) in the event of nothing else works or drive failure. That's where Active@ Disk Image Professional, a removable backup drive, and a boot stick for working outside the OS come in handy.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

That was very positive. Thank you Grumpy Old Bastid.

Speaking of positive, I forgot to mention Hitman Pro is overly aggressive and lacks an ignore list. It scans everything with no control, it wrecked my scanner programming and control software I need because using the keyboard is damn impossible. So much for the memory file, I have to reinstall from the saved installer and hope I can reinstall the last saved memory file or I have to start over from scratch. Thanks Hitman Pro, you go bye bye!
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Well- I'm an IT guy.

Back in the day I would have recommended Bitdefender.

These days the anti-malware industry is a little too "black box" for me. I don't need some kind of herculean anti-malware behemoth slowing my machines down and beating up the drives.

These days, I use Microsoft's built in anti-malware, along with Malwarebytes (if needed). I also have the system scripted to run an sfc scan (System File Checker) weekly to detect changes in core binary files.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

I went from G-Data to BitDefender two years ago...
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

"These days, I use Microsoft's built in anti-malware, along with Malwarebytes (if needed)."
    Just to make sure of my knowledge of Micro$haft "protection" built into W10 and available as downloads for earlier systems I checked here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products and it verified what I know. Simply put, every one is anti-virus, not anti-malware. That's what Malwarebytes is for, not IF needed, ALWAYS needed providing real time protection in addition to scheduled scans, Micro$haft provides no protection against malware and never has. Protection against rootkits is essential, and with ransomware on the rise companies are working on it but have not yet perfected it because of its many variants. Meanwhile a good backup system is advised and in addition to weekly AV scans, daily if you're paranoid, a weekly scan with Malwarebytes is strongly advised.

"These days the anti-malware industry is a little too "black box" for me."
    And you're an IT guy?
    "I don't need some kind of herculean anti-malware behemoth slowing my machines down and beating up the drives."
    Come up to date then, those days are long gone. I hate repeating myself, so if you're interested back up a bit and read what I use "post AVG/Avast/Hitman Pro Apocalypse" scanning weekly quietly in the background with no noticeable change in machine performance and drives gently purring away.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    "These days, I use Microsoft's built in anti-malware, along with Malwarebytes (if needed)."
    Just to make sure of my knowledge of Micro$haft "protection" built into W10 and available as downloads for earlier systems I checked here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products and it verified what I know. Simply put, every one is anti-virus, not anti-malware. That's what Malwarebytes is for, not IF needed, ALWAYS needed providing real time protection in addition to scheduled scans, Micro$haft provides no protection against malware and never has. Protection against rootkits is essential, and with ransomware on the rise companies are working on it but have not yet perfected it because of its many variants. Meanwhile a good backup system is advised and in addition to weekly AV scans, daily if you're paranoid, a weekly scan with Malwarebytes is strongly advised.

And you're an IT guy?
    "I don't need some kind of herculean anti-malware behemoth slowing my machines down and beating up the drives."
    Come up to date then, those days are long gone. I hate repeating myself, so if you're interested back up a bit and read what I use "post AVG/Avast/Hitman Pro Apocalypse" scanning weekly quietly in the background with no noticeable change in machine performance and drives gently purring away.
    I love it when lay people argue with me... it's kind of cute.
    --

And you're an IT guy?
    Let's look at the link you provided:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products

Quote:
    Windows Defender Antivirus Homes,
    Small businesses,
    Enterprises
    Real-time detection, prevention, and removal of malware with cloud-delivered protection Built into Windows 10 and Windows 8.1; for earlier versions of Windows, get Microsoft Security Essentials.
    Enterprises can manage Windows Defender AV with System Center Configuration Manager, Microsoft Intune, or Windows Defender ATP.

Maybe you're a better IT guy than me... who knows. But I certainly can read better.
    --

I love it when some people think they know it all and anybody with a differing opinion is "kind of cute", it's entertaining in a perverse sort of way.

You certainly do read better, I'm blind in one eye and need reading glasses. There is still one thing I find upsetting, and that is playing on the Micro$haft cloud. I, reflecting on the $haft aspect of Micro$haft with spyware disguised as and promoted as security updates that I and others had to remove and stop updates from bouncing them back, I avoid any and all direct exposure to the mother ship. W10 can be cloud based or stand alone, so why go back to the cloud with another one of their products and hope they don't deliver something else besides "protection"? It's called "the cloud" and not "the server" which it really is for a reason, things hide in clouds. That's why I and everybody I know who uses Windblows uses Malwarebytes and the AV of their choice, then the totally fed up are migrating to Linux.

So what did you do with the rubber hose and stuffed animal?
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA

I love it when some people think they know it all and anybody with a differing opinion is "kind of cute", it's entertaining in a perverse sort of way.
    Well, I wrote my first computer program in 1979, did my first IT work in 1984, and my skills are still current.

And you are cute. Because you never asked me what my opinion is based on. Maybe I know a whole lot more than you do? Or know more about my particular environment or attack vectors? I certainly do not base my decisions about my data on "What everyone I know is doing".

Although, all I was doing is stating what I was doing, with a partial answer "why".

These days- everybody thinks they are an expert. Well... I am an expert. For real. My opinions while debatable actually carry weight.

You can dislike me, disagree with me, or think I'm a moron. You will however not insult me and certainly not from a standpoint of ignorance.

You certainly do read better, I'm blind in one eye and need reading glasses. There is still one thing I find upsetting, and that is playing on the Micro$haft cloud. I, reflecting on the $haft aspect of Micro$haft with spyware disguised as and promoted as security updates that I and others had to remove and stop updates from bouncing them back, I avoid any and all direct exposure to the mother ship. W10 can be cloud based or stand alone, so why go back to the cloud with another one of their products and hope they don't deliver something else besides "protection"? It's called "the cloud" and not "the server" which it really is for a reason, things hide in clouds. That's why I and everybody I know who uses Windblows uses Malwarebytes and the AV of their choice, then the totally fed up are migrating to Linux.
    Sorry about your eyes. If you want to have a discussion about security ask intelligent polite questions.

So what did you do with the rubber hose and stuffed animal
    I just inserted them into your bum :)
    --