Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AVG Antivirus Ripping Us Off

Have to replace the router but so far nothing else has tried to reinstall itself.
    Both the xyl and I were forced to cancel our cards.

Is this something you take to the state attorney general?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I used AVG in the far distant past, now the internet supplier provides F Secure for free.
    Good warning, though i wasn't planning to use AVG since it was a system hogger anyway and a pain in the *ss to remove, even ages ago.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Magdalena,New Mexico-- more left than right
    the very best reason to ditch WinBlowz & install Linux.....never have ANY problems like you.....YMMV of course....
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    Arch Linux OS
    "If you're not living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by NM5TF View Post
    the very best reason to ditch WinBlowz & install Linux.....never have ANY problems like you.....YMMV of course....
    Yes, go with a Linux build and F Microsoft!
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

Quote Originally Posted by NM5TF View Post
    My Mileage Does Vary.

I've used AVG Free for over a decade. I've never seen what Charles has described. Ever.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

I've seen nothing like it either, but I don't have any banking info on here either.
    Last edited by WZ7U; 12-11-2018 at 12:55 AM.

Like that post was...

Those are the facts as they happened to us.
    A year ago last Spring I was having a new machine built. Everyone, including the machine builder said that Windows Defender was good now and they really stepped up their game. By this time last year I was dealing with an infection that forced me to reset the OS (WinX) and install Avast. It worked well but by late Spring, Avast was getting very intrusive. Kept throwing up pop ups and relentlessly kept trying to get me to buy more of their software. It got so bad that I removed it and logged into my account on their website and I jumped through all the hoops to completely cut ties with them. This included making sure all the right boxes were unchecked, ie; recurring annual payments. This was a paid version so they had my banking info.

The wife's machine was the free version of AVG. I ran it on her machine until the same time in late Spring, at which time I removed it and explained in the uninstall reply box, where they asked why I was uninstalling, that it was causing issues with performance. It too was throwing up pop up ads which was understandable on the free version. Anyway, she never gave them any banking or financial info. Never. They somehow got her banking information and PayPal info and used it to steal money out of her account.
    Just recently now, in an email exchange, they were trying to say that she was running a paid version on multiple machines while only being approved for one paid version. BULLSHIT! Like I said above she had a free version. I made sure. They tried scamming her. That is criminal.

I started looking online for complaints about AVG and Avast. In many places it was repeated that they are one company now still operating under their individual names and that as an antivirus software have gone to complete shit. Well, I believe that. While at the bank, the service manager said he's had many people come in complaining about the same thing I was dealing with. He also said that in the last year and a half it has become very common for many companies to do this practice and that basically they are just throwing "stuff" against the wall to see what would stick. In my own mind, I was saying to myself, "this is the outcome of mass deregulation of all industries." That, however, is a political issue even though it is also a law issue. The politicians changed the law and as such made it more difficult to seek redress in the way of siccing a state's attorney general on them if there is recurring problem. Thing is that now, they can say it was clerical or data entry error or blame the code or whatever. Now they can just say it was an accident without much grilling from the law.

So, what happened at my house, oh it was just some misdirected code, disgruntled employee, phfffffft. Whatever. The money has been returned but the software tried installing itself on at least one machine that never had it, ever and reinstall itself, first in its original name and then as the other name. It was after I rejected the install(s) that they contacted my wife's email and tried to cover their asses by saying that they contacted her before under a different email. Again, BULLSHIT!

That's my story. Jim, consider yourself lucky or ask yourself what they actually have access to inside your machine. I used to trust them and used them in the past from time to time along with Malwarebytes and CCleaner and whatever else Windows administrative tools are available. I'll still use Malwarebytes and CCleaner and Windows administrative tools. I hope Windows Defender really has stepped up their game like so many people have told me before because I don't know what my other option are. I won't Norton and I won't use McAfee. Both of those suck up every last bit of system resource no matter how weak or powerful the machine they are installed on are and make the machine pretty much useless at critical times when you're trying to get something done. I've run into some type of computer issue when under a deadline enough times that it pisses me off greatly. I have a couple of back up options now but there were times when I didn't. The only thing with the back ups is that they don't have quite the tune this machine has but they work as I have used them. This time around there were no deadlines but FFS, they could start who knows what manner hooliganry considering what has happened at my household.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate everyone's input and constructive criticism.

Geez, what a fucked up mess. I believe ya Charles, just don't know what to do about it.

Like that post was...

Pretty much the same experience with me and Semantic. The antiviruse software is actually a virus in itself. Nag wear, constant pop-ups, nasty stuff.

I use Linux builds/android. I do have a windows 10 machine that's get turned on maybe 2 times a month to update emails. Contains no personal information.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"