Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feed back coming from tuner ?

Higher than SOME broadcast stations? I've seen a few bragging on CB forums with pictures showing 50+ KW that makes it more than ALL broadcast stations. The laughs come in when the scope displays such over-modulation it looks like a square wave splatter box destroying everything from 1 to 100MHz.

Then some neighbors are just dumber than dog shit. I had been operating my modified Heathkit Twins, the Mohawk RX and Apache TX for a couple of years without complaint until the hash, mash, and trash of the CB boom became too much and I sold everything from mic to antenna. About a month later I dug the mast out of the weeds where I had tossed it and put up a home brew nineteen inch VHF ground plane for my scanner, and then it happened. The lady next door came by complaining of TVI, I turned on the scanner that had been off all day and let her listen to police calls etc. while I explained it is a receiver only, see, no microphone, it cannot possibly cause interference. I brought her over to my TV, went around the channels, see, no interference. Out of curiosity I asked her to describe the interference, where the TV is and what does she use for an antenna since there is none on the house and there is no cable drop line. The picture goes in and out, the TV is a portable in the basement on rabbit ears. At this point I found it hard to contain myself while finally explaining to her my antenna radiates no signal, she interrupted me with "Well, it's an antenna isn't it?" I clenched my fists, stiffened my posture and shouted so loud they could hear me in Peoria "GET OUT OF NY HOUSE! OUT! OOOUUUT!!!"

Mama said there'd be days like this, mama said, mama said. (;->)

On edit: You had James Bridgewater, probably a likable enough guy like most FCC Field Engineers, we had Roger Nye The FCC Guy, a complete klutz and so dumb he makes dog shit look smart. He wondered why an N connector wouldn't mate up with an SO-239, when I handed him the right jumper for the Bird 43 he couldn't get a reading on it, I pointed out the 450MHz 50W slug he had in it and handed him the correct one. That was only the beginning of him goofing his way through an inspection and the beginning of my "Let's get rid of the bastard" campaign that ended with him flying a desk in Baltimore. It's like the military way, give him a promotion and a transfer to Pint Barrow, Alaska.
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 10-07-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

I reckognize that first part all too well.....
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

What is a Yeticom and a Dave made 10 pill ? He said today that's what he is running, I was listening to him on 11 meters today, I was tuning around and he was all over the place
    [SIGPIC] 73

You guys in 8 land have all the best CB lids!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    You guys in 8 land have all the best CB lids!
    ^
    |
    |

Nailed it!

Quote Originally Posted by N8GAV View Post
    What is a Yeticom and a Dave made 10 pill ? He said today that's what he is running, I was listening to him on 11 meters today, I was tuning around and he was all over the place
    I did the Google thing on "Yeticom" and this showed up.

"Dave-Made" is the top of the line, built in a garage, unfiltered 11 meter amplifier.

"10 pills" describes an amplifier with eight 2SC-2879 bi-polar transistors with a built-in 2 transistor driver.

Next time he's transmitting, jump up to 6 meters and see if he's up there; also listen for him around 108 MHz on your FM Radio.

ETA: More importantly, go to 10 meters and listen for him there. If he is there, he's trespassing.

Last edited by koØm; 10-12-2018 at 11:01 PM.

This joker is getting to be a real pain in the ass, I was told his neighbor turned him in for coming in over her phone. Mel I looked up Yeticom some kind of export radio for 12, 11,and 10 meters. So we will see if the FCC shows up.
    [SIGPIC] 73

Quote Originally Posted by N8GAV View Post
    This joker is getting to be a real pain in the ass, I was told his neighbor turned him in for coming in over her phone. Mel I looked up Yeticom some kind of export radio for 12, 11,and 10 meters. So we will see if the FCC shows up.
    If he's coming through Land-line telephones, he's probably interfering with emergency communications to 911; local LEO will be on his doorstep before the FCC. He is creating a public nuisance and, local laws and regulation have issues when others stop you from the enjoyment of "Peaceful living conditions" in your own place.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Higher than SOME broadcast stations?
    ETA: Fortunately, the "Statue of Limitations" has expired.
    Last edited by koØm; 10-24-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Houston, we have a problem. The problem is how to nail an over powered CBer considering RFI complaints made by Joe A. Citizen are Joe A. Citizen's problem in the eyes of the FCC. I can guarantee from experience that 90% of the time all they do is send the complainant their little booklet based on the ARRL publication on how to filter out the offending RF. The telephone company can install a filter, but they install it in the "line test box" (for the lack of a proper term) on the side of the house where the drop line from the pole terminates. This is the last part of the system owned by them, the subscriber owns the inside wiring, so it doesn't get installed where it needs to be, at the affected telephone itself isolating it RF wise from the wiring that's acting as an antenna.

I remember K-COM had manufactured a set of highly effective band specific filters, hams swore by them. I watched as Phil K2PG installed and tested one on a neighbor's phone, it completely eliminated it receiving a 1KW AM broadcast transmitter re-tuned for 160M. Fast forward 18 years and it looks like K-COM is no more, when I went shopping all I came up with that may be suitable is this: http://www.ky-filters.com/ The RF-1 may do the trick and probably will provided it's placed in line at the affected telco unit. Unplug the cord from the phone, plug the filter into the phone and plug the cord into the filter. N2HGY Larry's air name was K. C. Filter... long story. (;->)

Whatever happened to the old reliable Western Electric 500 series phones built like a brick dunny and totally immune to RF?
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    It's like the military way, give him a promotion and a transfer to Pint Barrow, Alaska.
    I might be insane enough to like that.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.