Thread: DVR for cable

DVR for cable

Hey there,
    Here on the radio ranch the yl has a dvr for her cable tv. It's one the cable company provides as part of the service. It's on a short road to failure, especially when it fucked off two quarters of the Monday Night football game tonight. So, I'm wondering if any of you have put a home computer together for dvr duty? I could use some pointers to get the yl happy again about her tv. It's been messing up in increments but it ate up a bunch of her stuff today so its time to do something other than what the cable company provides. Any of you do something like this? Thanks for helping a dude help his ole lady.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I just need a direction to look, Amazon is not much help.

Like that post was...

This is way out of my area of expertise, but I doubt that you can substitute a PC and have it emulate a DVR due to encryption, digital rights, etc. Have you looked into actually buying a DVR/Cable tuner compatible with your cable system?

My short answer would be to tell the cable company to replace your unit with the most up to date model, at no charge. Demand this as a long time, paying customer. Whenever DirecTV raises my rates, I call and remind them that I've been with them over 20 years, and initially owned all of my equipment. I explain how simple it would be to switch to FIOS, but that I'd hate to leave DirecTV. They usually freeze my rates and give me something free (HBO, Cinemax, or some other premium lineup) for 6 months or so. I can get away with this every 2-3 years... apparently their record keeping isn't so good!
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Yup, thats what I'm discovering as well. I had hoped it would be a matter of changing some hardware and software but I don't think its going to be this easy. Not that someone hasn't frankensteined something somewhere. I'm just not under the delusion that I'm going to be that guy any time soon.

Thanks for the reality check, and yes she is a long time customer so its up to her to git 'er done.

Like that post was...

Umm, if cableco provides the dvr then she's surely paying for it. make cableco replace it with something new and working....
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    I just need a direction to look, Amazon is not much help.
    I use BeyondTV for my DVR/PVR solution.

I have a PC with Hauppauge WinTV tuners in it and, using the companion program, BeyondTV Link I am able to stream live and recorded TV to my home network.

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    Umm, if cableco provides the dvr then she's surely paying for it. make cableco replace it with something new and working....
    Agreed! Getting her away from her "nipple" is a whole 'nuther thing!

Like that post was...

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post
    I use BeyondTV for my DVR/PVR solution.

I have a PC with Hauppauge WinTV tuners in it and, using the companion program, BeyondTV Link I am able to stream live and recorded TV to my home network.

Now this is something I can wrap my mind around. Thankew!!

Like that post was...