Thread: Impromptu weather net.....

Impromptu weather net.....

Hi guys,

Some friends were hanging out on the local repeater as a storm was coming in tonight- they were discussing what they were seeing.

I popped in and mentioned my conditions. Then another station... then two stations across the county... then another station up near me. Then it kept going...

Not that this impromptu net was useful in the big picture. But it was a lot of fun. Some of the stations with weather sensing/APRS/lightning detection were able to predict what was happening real time. Which was interesting and educational.

Was a great time.

A ragchew broke out, turned into a net, and went back to being a ragchew. Go figure.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Hey, at least someone somewhere is on the radio.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Hey, at least someone somewhere is on the radio.
    We're pretty active around here. It's more active across the lake in Chicago... but we hold our own. At least on one or two repeaters.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

I remember Portland, OR being fairly active but that was more than a decade back. Out here in the back woods, not so much. The price of country living in the Peoples Republic I guess.

It doesn't help I live in a 3 sided hole.hey_whats_that_cn86jc.jpg That little divot on the right end of the chart is the mighty Columbia river headed to the ocean.

Nice that you can enjoy that level of activity Michael. I wish I had that here sometimes...

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

A number of years ago, a ham buddy by the name of Frank was near downtown Denver.
    He pulled over, as he spotted a funnel cloud. A few minutes later, a "micro down-burst".

Followed by hail that made his white work van look like a dimpled golf ball, with broken windows...
    This was on a local repeater that activates weather geeks during severe events, and he is not a "net guy".

Frank did very well, reporting really crazy conditions, pretty cool for a mandolin playin' buskin' woodworkin' hippy... ;)
    Last edited by WØTKX; 09-26-2018 at 11:32 PM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman