View Poll Results: Political Discussion Options

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the political forum as-is, and make no changes.

1 4.55%
  • Make the current forum invisible to guests, but nix the idea of a new forum.

1 4.55%
  • Create the new forum, but keep the existing forum visible to everyone.

2 9.09%
  • Go with the new plan as outined... new forum and marking the existing forum invisible to guests.

9 40.91%
  • The nuclear option: Delete the political forum and rid us of politics altogether.

2 9.09%
  • Dance naked with a rubber hose and stuffed animal

7 31.82%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The political forum

The political forum

Our political forum is all but dead, having been poisoned by partisan name calling, disparaging comments, and one sided discussions.

I am as guilty as anyone, perhaps more so.

I suggest that we might keep the current political forum, but hide it from non-members, and possibly rename it to "The Cesspool". Seems appropriate.

To encourage civil discussion, I propose a new forum, with strict rules regarding name calling, bickering, and general shit slinging. The old political forum can be the receptacle for such garbage, so no need to complain about being stifled on your opinions.

Everyone being discussed would be referred to by their proper title. No more "Lying Dump Baby", "tRUMP", "Hildabeast", etc. In the new forum, posts containing such references would be deleted. Trolling would absolutely NOT be allowed. Enforcement would be very strict. I suggest that the staff could, as an alternative to deletion, edit a word here and there in an otherwise civil post.

The new political forum would be visible to everyone, including guests. The existing forum would remain available to all registered members.

We need to make some changes here, and I think that the current political forum turns many potential members off.

Please vote in this poll accordingly, and please do give your opinion on any of this.

Thanks!

Well shit the bed.

Number 4, or number 5 I guess. As a freeloader by circumstance I'm not sure I deserve a say. But thanks for asking since I wasn't aware of the problem. It would be nice to grow the Island so maybe an OT section would be good.

Regardless of the decision made, I will always love the time I've had my toes in the sand. Not sure I can refrain from my written disdain for the POTUS currently inhabiting 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I can try....

On edit; What brought this about, if you don't mind expounding upon that at some point. If not, OK too.
    Last edited by WZ7U; 08-21-2018 at 07:47 AM. Reason: curiosity

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Eric, you have as much 'say' as anyone here! Although donations are very much appreciated, they don't dictate any additional sway with the staff. An equally valuable way of supporting the site is to simply be here and contribute. It would be pretty boring, otherwise.

As to what prompted me to pursue these options... it is the current occupant of the White House, his behavior, and my reactions to him. He is supposed to be above the disgusting behavior he exhibits, and so am I, as a member of the staff. I should not allow myself the luxury of verbally bashing him here. I should, instead, 'walk the walk'. That he has chosen to disrespect the office and nearly all presidents before him is his choice. It makes him appear the buffoon, the loud mouthed drunk in the bar, the village idiot. Having played right into his hands, I will choose a different tact, and try to be civil. I think by now that everyone interested understands how much I detest Trump.

The suggestions I offer are just thoughts off the top of my head. I haven't even run this by Fred, Bob, or Michael yet. It doesn't need to spell the end of harsh criticism of Trump... keeping the old forum, but making it invisible to guests will allow this to continue.

As to anyone who would complain about continuing political discussions here... I would suggest they refrain from reading those forums as a matter of choice. Nobody has to click any link here for any reason.

Regarding moderation of the new political discussions forum, I believe we can do it fairly. We have N8YX, a conservative with strong support of the 1st and 2nd amendments, Bob, also a conventional conservative who has a good grasp on fairness. Michael, I'm not clear on his political leanings, but he seems to value equality and fairness for all. I'm the hothead on the staff, but you can't classify me as a liberal, nor a conservative. I see value in both sides, and choose to view the world in living color as opposed to black and white. I do have an extremely low tolerance for liars, racism, bigotry, and trolling.

Any conclusions reached here will be discussed with the rest of the staff, and we'll figure out what we're going to do, if anything.

So, give us your opinion, vote in the poll, and have fun!

73 - Luke
    Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Well shit the bed.

Number 4, or number 5 I guess. As a freeloader by circumstance I'm not sure I deserve a say. But thanks for asking since I wasn't aware of the problem. It would be nice to grow the Island so maybe an OT section would be good.

Regardless of the decision made, I will always love the time I've had my toes in the sand. Not sure I can refrain from my written disdain for the POTUS currently inhabiting 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I can try....

On edit; What brought this about, if you don't mind expounding upon that at some point. If not, OK too.

BTW - I did not vote in the poll. It's obvious that I'd prefer the option of having two political forums.
    Last edited by ad4mg; 08-21-2018 at 09:04 AM. Reason: BTW...
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

I voted to nuke it.

But I'm pretty unsure that is the best solution. Vote regret...

There's a conundrum here. If the site went to ham radio only we'd have to work really hard to generate traffic based on the merits of the content. Which would mean the members would have to want to contribute a lot of ham radio content. If we kept the forum we are generating traffic but not really serving ham radio.

I think of examples like sdrzone... that guy actually produces valid reviews and tests of SDR radios and he generates very little trafffic or discussion.

At the same time it's my understanding that this site was founded in protest to site policies of other sites. Is the protest still relevant to the ham radio community?

I guess my feelings on this topic are unclear.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    I voted to nuke it.

But I'm pretty unsure that is the best solution. Vote regret...

There's a conundrum here. If the site went to ham radio only we'd have to work really hard to generate traffic based on the merits of the content. Which would mean the members would have to want to contribute a lot of ham radio content. If we kept the forum we are generating traffic but not really serving ham radio.

I think of examples like sdrzone... that guy actually produces valid reviews and tests of SDR radios and he generates very little trafffic or discussion.

At the same time it's my understanding that this site was founded in protest to site policies of other sites. Is the protest still relevant to the ham radio community?

I guess my feelings on this topic are unclear.
    This is why I take the easy route and ask the residents! They are wise, even if some of them smell funny...
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg View Post

The suggestions I offer are just thoughts off the top of my head. I haven't even run this by Fred, Bob, or Michael yet. It doesn't need to spell the end of harsh criticism of Trump... keeping the old forum, but making it invisible to guests will allow this to continue.

Regarding moderation of the new political discussions forum, I believe we can do it fairly. We have N8YX, a conservative with strong support of the 1st and 2nd amendments, Bob, also a conventional conservative who has a good grasp on fairness. Michael, I'm not clear on his political leanings, but he seems to value equality and fairness for all. I'm the hothead on the staff, but you can't classify me as a liberal, nor a conservative. I see value in both sides, and choose to view the world in living color as opposed to black and white. I do have an extremely low tolerance for liars, racism, bigotry, and trolling.
    I'm not sure what I would call myself either.

Yes... fairness, compassion, fiscal responsibility, and respect for science are at the core of my political leanings. I'm not sure what to call that.

Lately though I've just been working to become a better ham. More proficient.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg View Post
    This is why I take the easy route and ask the residents! They are wise, even if some of them smell funny...
    It's not an easy question... even if you have a clean fresh scent....
    --

Very good Luke. A reasonable discourse and all makes sense. I'm not opposed to the high road but that despicable maroon makes it too easy to go the way he chooses. I really do see how and why you feel the way you about this and I can respect that.

I'm not sure where I land concerning political parties. I'm really disgusted with the two major players in our country but see value in parts of both. If there was a way to take the best of both and start something better, wouldn't that be something! The chance of that happening are lower than sniffing a fart in a whirlwind.

Oh, I'm not wise. A wiseass, yeah. That's part of why I like you guys; you put up with me more than that other place. Besides, the old guys here aren't so stuck in their dogma to be unreasonable. Which keeps my allergy to stupid in check. I appreciate that.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I think it's a great idea! The fact that the island is open to alternatives other than just shutting it down (as other sites do) is commendable. I'll confess that I'm a conservative and I voted for him, but after the honeymoon It's getting to be very difficult to understand the things he does, although I'm seeing the impact of what he does on the world stage.

That's the main reason I came to the island ... to discuss things and even give and take jabs, on political issues that hams are entitled to express. However islanders sometimes can go too far and poison the well so to speak.

No harm no foul.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

I say keep the forum hidden from guests and create a new more regulated forum and have voted as such ......your 'merican politics are your own and and I believe that this option is actually better than the silly QRZ approach of burying it for members only! With the political climate that exists today it will be tough to control even a more regulated forum but it could still be nuked in any case if it proves to be unmanageable.
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!