Thread: What are the big differences between the big three?

What are the big differences between the big three?

I've only ever used yaesu gear and it seems to do the trick. I haven't really dug further into the other two big brands but I know that many prefer one or the other for reasons that have never been clear to me.

So... Why do people choose one of the big three over the other?
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Are we talking overall, or point-in-time?

A couple of point-in-time comparos...the FT-101 series offered more features then its contemporary, the TS-520S. Fast forward a decade or so and you'll find the TS-940S one-upping the FT-980, though the latter is STILL my favorite HF rig - even taking into account present-day company.

One setup I would have a hard time parting with is the IC-751A/R-71A/IC-2KL/AT-500, even though both radio's AM audio recovery is less than stellar - and the line lacks a station monitor/panadapter accessory.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

overall. at the moment. what makes someone buy kenwood instead of icom?

i'm thinking there must be some super-consistent sort of thing (like User Interface--I know that there are folks who don't like Yaesu's menu-driven approach, so they choose one of the others. Or they say one of the others somehow gets out beteter, ...
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Most my stuff in the 40 years was Yaesu, though i had the TS 430 line from Kenwood, and some Icom stuff for 2/70.
    I wasn't interested in HF for a long time, Yaesu FT 221 R and FT 225 RD with some modifications were the dogs dangles then, add 70 cm and 23 cm transverters homebrew.
    Then i got the FT 847 with Collins filters for HF and 2/70 and that worked for 15 years or so till i ran into the FT 2000-D second hand.
    That one fills the needs i got till now, the FT 847 is for back up, and the FT 100 mobile transceiver is used on 2/70 locally and as FM radio, pity i put in the Xtal am filter some years back when it was used on HF.

Handhelds Wouxun UDVP 1, Kenwood TH7 E Icon Q7E, all with speaker phones.
    Heathkit SB-1000 new 3-500 ZG tube and fully restored.
    Add MFJ autotuners ( 993 and 998 legal limit) homebrew p.s 13.8 volt 50 and 80 amps.
    Assorted other stuff diamond swr.power meters, CN 801 HP etc etc etc, lots of homebrew stuff.
    So a mish mash of stuff...;)
    Last edited by PA5COR; 08-20-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

I've always heard Kenwood talked up over superior audio, but not sure if it was meant as superior transmit or receive. Yaesu has always seemed to me to be a good brand as well, good as any other.

My problem is the first HF I bought was a used Icom 751A and then a new 706llg way back in the 20th century. So I really only have a majority of personal experience with Icom and for the most part I'm happy; probably because I don't know any better.

Guys are talking up the Flex brand. I see the appeal, but I guess I like radios that are traditional. Not that I wouldn't try and run one if given the chance. Hope they work as good as flex seal.....

I would like to broaden my horizons with a hybrid Yaesu or a Kenwood of some vintage at some point, but I gotta wait for the career changes to kick in before I can justify shelving a perfectly good radio right now. Maybe when I get rich I can try out the quasi SDR offerings from the big 3 that are coming out lately.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

If the receive audio is pleasing to my ears, then I'm good. With that I will say that Kenwood is awesome. Yaesu has excellent receive but when I tune up the Ten Tec the only thing I hear is amateur transmissions.
    Antenna variables notwithstanding.
    No experience with Icom on HF.

So what I hear so far is, to a point, it's like religion... You do something early on that seems to suit you, and eventually it kinda does. And... Sometimes you augment things with equipment from other faiths (see COR)... because not everyone is orthodox. :)

Yeah. It's like that.

Poor agnostics...

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I have:

Kenwood
    Yaesu
    Icom
    Cubic
    Drake
    Heathkit
    Ten-Tec
    Uniden/Tempo

And the assorted CB, scanner, datacomm terminal and general-coverage receiver in the shack. Or out of the shack. It's very hard to say "pick one and that's it!" because all the rigs have their own unique operating characteristics or special feature set.

Conspicuously missing is anything NEW. Until their DSPs work so well that they completely eliminate the S7-S9 worth of wideband white noise that's so prevalent on the lower HF spectrum, I'll stick with my analog and early synthesized dinosaurs.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."