Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Machine and WinX Update: BORKED

New Machine and WinX Update: BORKED

Got a new machine yesterday, old tech compared to today but i5 3470, 16 gig ram, 120 SSD, 250 HDD, I have a outboard storage drive also.

Setting up my Microsoft account on the new machine. I have and account. It asks for PW. I put in the pw then it asks for confirmation. Says pw's don't match. Try again. Says pw's don't match. Tells me the problem is on their end so now it wants me to use a pin. OK. Make a pin. All logged in.

Using the new machine. Getting important software and bookmarks set up. It does another update. Machine was last updated 11 days ago by builder. OK. New update sets up. Everything is working. One of the things I have done on all my machines is disable One Drive from start up through the task manager. Been doing this for 3 years. No problem. I do it now. Says restart to take effect. I restart.

Log in screen comes up but now it's asking for my password. Didn't we just set up a pin? I use password to MS account. No go. I use pin. No go. Connection to internet has red X on it. Click on connection icon on bottom right and the only thing to come up is airplane mode, nothing else although there is room for the other things that would be in the same small area with airplane mode, they just don't show. Airplane mode is there by itself. Click on it. Nothing happens.

Still can't log into machine. Restart and I get as far as the password screen and that's it.

What the hell just happened? I talked to the builder. This is a new one on him.

I did a thing. I held down the shift key and clicked to restart. Took me to some kind of WinX safe mode. Reset from fresh although it was already ... "fresh."

Huh, a backdoor has been found??

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I would never set up a Micro$oft account in the first place. Fuck 'em. All my machines have local accounts.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    I would never set up a Micro$oft account in the first place. Fuck 'em. All my machines have local accounts.
    Get off mah lawn!

Magdalena,New Mexico-- more left than right
    well....it's WinBlows....what did you expect....

come over to the dark side & install Linux to be free....
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    Arch Linux OS
    "If you're not living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by NM5TF View Post
    well....it's WinBlows....what did you expect....

come over to the dark side & install Linux to be free....
    That's how you get on multiple government watch lists.

Magdalena,New Mexico-- more left than right
    Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    That's how you get on multiple government watch lists.
    they been watching me since the 1960s.....

and you think Micro$oft isn't in their pockets ??? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    Arch Linux OS
    "If you're not living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space"--Unknown