Thread: I Needed A New Carburetor Man.

I Needed A New Carburetor Man.

With my string trimmer on the blink for the past few weeks the grasses and weeds surroundibg the property have been growing wild. Fueled by a rainy spring and a hot sunny summer all sorts of garden variety weeds have been growing like a wildfire on a dry windy day, to the point that it was becoming a neighborhood eyesore. I determined that several years of alcohol & additive laden gasoline has yet again taken it's toll on the carburetor, fuel lines, and filters... to the point that it no longer gave me a spark of life. I opted to put in a new carburetor and found a carb on ebay that comes complete with new fuel lines, several extra filters, extra spark plug and even the screwdriver-like tool used for adjusting the needle valve (which the manufacturers don't like to make available to the average consumer). Well, putting on the new carb, lines, filters, etc. and she lives yet again, starts and runs like new. Now I can mow down and clean up the overgrown mess outside. This time around I am going to play it smart and I'm keeping the old carburetor and rebuilding it so I'll have a rebuilt spare when in a year or two it starts running like crap again as the lousy gasoline on the market today takes it's toll on all the new parts I put in.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

I get around that problem by using ethanol free gasoline in my small engines. It is quite a bit more money up front but worth it in the long term. It may not be available in the city proper, but in the outlying districts available near boating areas or farm supply type outlets. Plus, don't forget to run the systems dry when you go to store for the season, that way varnish can't develop and gum up the works. You do that and you won't need to monkey with carb changing much at all, if ever. Besides, they're super easy to clean out and make work if you have the proper tools and basic knowledge.

Go get 'em John. Get rid of those unsightly weeds!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    I get around that problem by using ethanol free gasoline in my small engines. It is quite a bit more money up front but worth it in the long term. It may not be available in the city proper, but in the outlying districts available near boating areas or farm supply type outlets. Plus, don't forget to run the systems dry when you go to store for the season, that way varnish can't develop and gum up the works. You do that and you won't need to monkey with carb changing much at all, if ever. Besides, they're super easy to clean out and make work if you have the proper tools and basic knowledge.

Go get 'em John. Get rid of those unsightly weeds!
    Well, so far I got the grasses and weeds in front out by the sidewalk mowed. Now tomorrow I have to mow the front slope and the back yard. The old trimmer ran pretty good with the new carb & parts installed. Ethanol free gasoline sounds like a good idea. But I don't know if I can get it around here. My brother might be able to get some for me. He lives upstate where there is some farming agriculture and perhaps an Agway or farm supplier up his way might have it. A gallon should last me the whole spring & summer.
    Yeah, at the end of the season I need to remember to prepare my gas powered tools for winter storage. I normally do but the last couple years I've been getting a little lax and letting it go. This year I am going to take care to run everything dry and make sure all gas is drained, removed and everything is cleaned for winter hibernation. Then there is the snow thrower which comes out of hibernation in winter. Come to think of it I have some minor repairs to do on it before the snowflakes start fallin.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.