Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My little project....

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    Cool. I get it man, my first qso card was for a cw contact on 2 meters and my first serious rig was an Icom 211. There is a high point in Portland I would go to (Rocky Butte, an extinct volcano top) with a 5 element beam and my 706 and I remember working as far north as the Seattle area, out to the coast, into north central OR and south past Salem; all on ssb. Great fun! Putting all that back into play is on my list o' shit to get done before the ole ticker craps out for good. Hopefully in a year or two I can get V/U capable again. I still need to get my loop up first for 75. Enjoy what you have going there, it looks like fun!
    I really need to get this forum updated so we have a like button... because I like your post.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Just a few more antennas on the roof, and you'll be giving Pat a run for his money.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

Only if he can fill a few 40' conex boxes with boat anchors will he get remotely close

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

These guys work so hard, I get tired just watching. I do so much half assed thiings, and see others who give it a professional edge. I am glad to read these posts.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    These guys work so hard, I get tired just watching. I do so much half assed thiings, and see others who give it a professional edge. I am glad to read these posts.
    It's been a long evolution. My first attempts at building a station were pretty marginal. Now that I've made some big mistakes.... the little ones are easier to detect before the project is complete.

If it looks professional... I've simply gotten good at hiding the bad stuff :)
    --

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    It's been a long evolution. My first attempts at building a station were pretty marginal. Now that I've made some big mistakes.... the little ones are easier to detect before the project is complete.

If it looks professional... I've simply gotten good at hiding the bad stuff :)
    You're not claiming "fake it till you make it" are you?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    You're not claiming "fake it till you make it" are you?
    Absolutely.

Often I hear brand new hams asking longer term hams to "come and set up my station for me". I think that is a mistake. Build it yourself- screw it up Reeeeal goood.

Then get an experienced guy to show you every mistake you made. Backtrack through what you know and learn more.

There's such a difference between theory and practice. I knew theory. I learned practice.

My first field day I jumped in with both feet and did 2m weak signal, and 220 repeater access for talk in. I accomplished nothing. But... I learned so much that the second field day was a success.

Rules for technology success:

1. Build it.

2. Screw it up beyond belief.

3. Get someone who knows to show you everything you did wrong (includes being laughed at).

4. Learn!

I my case I have a short list of talented guys, one who is an EE, who bat be around the ears when I screw up.
    --

5. Books are Your Friends. If your RF design/electrical engineering library isn't measured in kilopounds, you're doing it wrong.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Antenna systems, and transmission lines have been a real cause of suicides in the ham radio community for a long time now. I never plan on using the new ant that evening, no unrealistic goals here LOL. Every place offers some sort of electrical circuitry like XL XC puts the REACT in reactance! Sometimes the most crafty of engineering professionals sometimes need outside help because they seem to have no clue to their own back yard. Forty two years of being a radio amateur, I am no closer to turning pro than I was day one! Wow, eight more years I will be in the half century wireless group. That makes me like Fred (here) Eddie,

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Propagation is crap today....

2018-07-09 13_31_15-Window.jpg
    --