Thread: Echolink... Round 1

Echolink... Round 1

So, I decided to give echolink a try. I downloaded the program onto my smart phone, went through the registration and validation jazz and within a few minuted I was good to go. The next day I made my first Echolink contact, a station up in Anchorage Alaska. He said I sounded okay but in addition to hearing my voice he could also hear every car and truck and even the kids playing across the street. I was using a bluetooth headset. Even with the gain way down the background noise was overpowering. He recommended I look into getting a noise cancelling mike and suggested a few brands that might be good. Seems like otherwise using Echolink on a smartphone tends to pick up a lot of background noise unless you have a decent noise cancelling microphonium,.

Just wondering if any of you have played around with Echolink on a smartphone and if so what type of audio config worked best for you in as far as signal to noise ratio ?

And yeah, Echolink is not "100% real radio". It's only half or "50% real radio". :)
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Yes. I used Echolink on my phone to talk to you a long time ago. :D
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Yes. I used Echolink on my phone to talk to you a long time ago. :D
    Yeah, I remember that time, That was a great QSO and we got a couple other stations on echolink and also a lot of locals on that repeater that evening. Maybe we can try it again one daybut in reverse where I am on echolink connected to a local repeater in your area.
    Last edited by n2ize; 07-09-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

I used it to talk to IBC on his repeater, back in those fun days. Then, we did the eyeball qso, and I scared him back to 2 land!

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger