Thread: Educational field day moment.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Educational field day moment.....

Hi all,

Well field day for me was a real blast. Somehow, because I was doing VHF/UHF weak signal before HF, I always get snarkled into running the weak signal station.

This year was my first year running a station for our club. We had 6m, 2m, and 220, stacked on a mobile tower. The first time I had access to a tower for weak signal.

Wow.. what fun!

Now here's where I became educated:

At one point I started hearing CW interference on the WS station. I went around to the HF stations but the transmissions were not matching. It was just the club call sign over and over.

Turns out- it was the fox from our foxhunt at 100mw. What was learned: A dirty transmitter is always dirty dirty.

While we are only a 2A, we do have 75 members, 50 of which showed for field day. So it was hard to fully communicate what was happening when. But when I pieced it together the the lightbulb was burning bright!!
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

I snuck a 1/5 of bourbon to a local club FD one year past 1;00 AM. Three of us got shit faced in the tent! I was not invited back. LOL!

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger