Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 Meters, Wooo Hooo

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    Had a blast listening to the 10 meter repeater outputs from New York...
    I can bring a full 100w to the 10M FM party with the FT-980s here - they're rated for continuous service at that power level in all modes. The next big trick is to fit a CTCSS encoder to one.

Should the band really shorten up in a big opening, give a listen on 29.640. That's the Salem machine - about 30mi east.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    I can bring a full 100w to the 10M FM party with the FT-980s here - they're rated for continuous service at that power level in all modes. The next big trick is to fit a CTCSS encoder to one.

Should the band really shorten up in a big opening, give a listen on 29.640. That's the Salem machine - about 30mi east.
    I hunted around for the tones for various NY 10 meter repeaters but was not able to get into any.

Next time 10 is wide open I'm going to make another attempt.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    I hunted around for the tones for various NY 10 meter repeaters but was not able to get into any.

Next time 10 is wide open I'm going to make another attempt.
    Most 10 meter local simplex/repeater use is mobile to base therefore, vertically polarized. They tend to kick on the tone squelch when the band is up. There is always a boomer from New York on 29.62, but there used to be an awesome St.Thomas, V.I repeater standard 52/62 offset. Where I live when 10 opens up, it is usually the bottom half. When 10 is up for summer time top half, I start scanning 6 meters. I love the local cross band repeaters with the 10M link. It is fun to open the link, and work fm dx with a walkie talkie on the machine. Call me old phart, but I do not qsl a repeater contact, but will a satellite, am I a machine racist?

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

A couple of days ago, 6 meters was open and 10 meters was hot. Just for the heck of it, I used a "wet noodle", (a Hustler mobile antenna with a 15 meter load on it that is also resonate at 50 MHz, mounted on my porch) to made my first 6 meter contact on FT-8.

I dropped down to 10 meters, changed to my di-pole and made some hook ups there.

There was a nice 6 meter opening June 19th to the West coast. I also heard a a guy in Georgia work a KL7 in Alaska. I did work 3 stations in Arizona. Picked up 2 new grids. On the 20th it was open into Canada around Prince Edward island .

I put up an m2 loop for my backyard station. It works very well. https://www.dxengineering.com/search...torder=Default

I have a Moxon beam ordered for my station in the shack. Hopefully, I'll have it up and running for the Sept VHF contest.

Woke up to this on 2 meters this morning:

aprsmap.jpg

aprs.jpg
    --

Dayum!

Wowsers.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Still kind of going on.... picks up at night then wanes a bit during the day... hope it keeps going.

2018-07-09 13_31_15-Window.jpg
    --