Thread: What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?

Hi all,

Ok so I've got an Apache Labs ANAN 100D which I'm keeping long term. Love the radio. Going to skip the current new-generation then upgrade next round.

However, I've got a second operating position in my shack which used to have a Flex 5000a which I sold. It's time to get another rig for the second position. It should not be a "high end radio" or it should not be "new".

Any suggestions about a cheapish/used radio which might be fun for the second position? I'm not sure I'm interested in a second SDR- so it needs to be knobbed... reliable... and relatively clean on transmit.

First person to suggest an Icom 7300 will be slapped.

Ideas?
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

TS-530/820S/830S, FT-102, FT-901/902 or a Drake 7 line.

Paragon II.

An Omni VI+ if you're into CW.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    TS-530/820S/830S, FT-102, FT-901/902 or a Drake 7 line.

Paragon II.

An Omni VI+ if you're into CW.
    I thought about tracking down an Omni.. the local ham radio shop had one but it's gone now.

Another one is the Icom 756 pro III??
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    I thought about tracking down an Omni.. the local ham radio shop had one but it's gone now.

Another one is the Icom 756 pro III??
    A good rig if it doesn't develop display faults.

Dave and Charles love the Corsair/Corsair II line. As do l, though you're limited to SSB/CW with one. An Omni D is another decent choice - classic looks.

There's also something to be said about a Cubic Astro 103. When mine is in the lineup I run it with a Shure 444. The audio reports are many and are unsolicited; everyone I've worked loves the way that radio sounds on the air.

My all-time favorite "vintage" set has a few faults I'd consider correcting before placing it in 24x7 operation. That is, the Yaesu FT-980. Its main Achilles Heel is the internal 24v PSU which runs warm. I've designed an accessory cooling system as a supplement to the PA fan which should eliminate heat as a failure point. Another gotcha is its ALC circuit: There's a runaway point at which the power cannot be reduced smoothly. A partial re-design may be necessary.

QST remarked on a noisy synthesizer in their review of the rig. In practice, this has never been noticeable.

If you're into SWLing or BCB monitoring, the rig is very enjoyable to listen to - especially with its companion SP-980 speaker. All of mine have the AM filter installed (it's the one used in the FT-90x series) and work great on that mode. Yaesu provided transverter functionality in the form of a modification kit for the FTV-901R; it'll cover all of 6 and 2 plus the SSB/Sat portions of 70cm. You can also use the FC-757AT automatic antenna tuner with the rig. Both applications require a special cable with an Unobtanium 28-pin connector at the radio end.

The only other drawback I can see is lack of a wideband IF output for use with a panadapter, such as the YO-901 station scope. I'm going to address that as well and will post something to the "Mods and Repairs" area when done.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

For the Really Old Skool Cool shack, though, I'd look at an SB-104 lineup. Or an HW-104 plus HR-1680/HX-1681 for QSK CW work on the traditional HF bands.

You need an original Corsair manufactured in 1983.

Yup, mine is pretty great. Perhaps a Pegasus or a Jupiter?

The Peg is a Jupiter without knobs.

Kicks ass with N4PY software.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Island Regular
    I have an OMNI-A, OMNI-V, Argo 509 and I have had a Corsair II, Paragon and a TS-850 that snuck in there somehow. I also have an Eagle now and it is clearly the best receiver of the lot and what I would get for my second operating position if I wanted great performance without a computer involved. With T-T having a questionable future, they sell for really low prices.

Tom W1EAT