Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rant... FT8...

Quote Originally Posted by W2NAP View Post
    seem dead here i keep thinking antenna is broken.

got VK9LI this morning on 30m
    I hope it made your day!!!
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    I hope it made your day!!!
    it made not being able to sleep at all last night somewhat worthwhile. was disappointed in lack of any other signals, they seemed to be the only thing on the band
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Whatever was generating the 10/S9 noise on HF is now gone, and in its place signals have returned.

I wonder if something of a wideband, low level noise source just inside my skip zone was effectively propagating into the area. I also wonder if that noise source might have been solar in origin, and with enhanced ionospheric propagation that noise is now being reflected back into space. This would make sense, as the peak of the noise level occurred from roughly 11AM-3PM and the sun's position at that time coincides with the southern major lobe of two of my antennas.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I heard there were some geomagnetic storms of late, some supposed to be strong. I haven't turned the radio on in days because HF has sucked that bad here and a lot of that has to do with being vertical only right now. Your post makes me want to see if things have improved yet. Edit: A quick check showed 20m with an S5 background noise and 40m with an S7. Better, but signals were weak too.

There is the post over yonder in the news about the last solar storm which sort of explains it, at least to this dummy.

Sometimes this helps - http://www.spaceweather.com/
    Last edited by WZ7U; 05-18-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    Whatever was generating the 10/S9 noise on HF is now gone, and in its place signals have returned.

I wonder if something of a wideband, low level noise source just inside my skip zone was effectively propagating into the area. I also wonder if that noise source might have been solar in origin, and with enhanced ionospheric propagation that noise is now being reflected back into space. This would make sense, as the peak of the noise level occurred from roughly 11AM-3PM and the sun's position at that time coincides with the southern major lobe of two of my antennas.
    Seen that before...

Usually if the noise can't be cancelled out with phase cancellation- it's non local. Saw a lot of that over the last 7 days with the sun doing interesting things and a relatively high MUF at night.
    --

Just made an FT8 contact with ER100 in Moldovia.

Had to actually look at a map...
    --

I need to get this set up on the station computer right next to me and interface said PC to the Paragon-II right next to it. We're playing on 30M mostly, right?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I need to get this set up on the station computer right next to me and interface said PC to the Paragon-II right next to it. We're playing on 30M mostly, right?
    That one was on 40. Yes I'm doing a lot of 30. But not just 30 :)
    --

im playing on 30m 99% of the time cause well, the vertical sucks on 20-10 and doorknob caps cracked on the 80/40 coils. but damn it works good on 30
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by W2NAP View Post
    ive had good luck with dxeng and r+L... .
    I just shopped on monday and tuesday...

Dxeng: shopped Monday mid-day (edt)... Shipped on Tuesday... Arrives here on weds.
    Hro: shopped Monday mid-day... Shipped Monday after the close of business from their NH store. Arrives on weds.
    Gigaparts: shopped this afternoon, shipped today by FedEx, scheduled to arrive a week from weds (!)
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane