Thread: W8MAI Field Day: 2018

W8MAI Field Day: 2018

Had a great field day this year. Was running the 2/6 meter station. Worked a nice pileup on 6. Made a few on 2. And other club members operated and made even more contacts on those bands.

Here's a short video of the event. I'll post some pics separately...

--
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

There was a big 6M opening last year during the event. I couldn't work much due to the fact that the only 50MHz antenna up in the air at the moment is vertically polarized.

This year...the bands were so "meh" that I didn't work any of it. Had a friend visit Saturday afternoon, showed her what all the hubbub was about then we went hiking. Would have been nice to get a few contacts in the log with a guest op at the mic.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
    There was a big 6M opening last year during the event. I couldn't work much due to the fact that the only 50MHz antenna up in the air at the moment is vertically polarized.

This year...the bands were so "meh" that I didn't work any of it. Had a friend visit Saturday afternoon, showed her what all the hubbub was about then we went hiking. Would have been nice to get a few contacts in the log with a guest op at the mic.
    6 was touchy for us in SW MI. We had a 12 minute blast of "WOW OMG IT'S OPEN!!!!" to the east coast. Then nothing. And then it became a hunt and peck operation for a while. I was remoted back to my home station for the panadapter so I could see what was happening. In the evening the band opened to Florida and west through to Texas.

Sunday was dicey. But one of my favorite hams got on and tore it up on CW.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...