Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rant... FT8...

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    You guys are so official on the publicly viewed pages. You ought to see the secret rooms!
    What, where are these secret rooms that you speak of??

I think I'm mostly off FT8 for a while... been working some sideband and AM- actually talking to people. More enjoyable I think.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

Yeah, you can always do the computer thing when you're here on the island. I do hope to catch you and everyone else here on the air sooner than later. It's kinda fun that way.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by KD8TUT View Post
    I think I'm mostly off FT8 for a while... been working some sideband and AM- actually talking to people. More enjoyable I think.
    And:

Yeah, you can always do the computer thing when you're here on the island. I do hope to catch you and everyone else here on the air sooner than later. It's kinda fun that way.
    That yay-yem thing sounds fun, if the bands cooperate. I got the Malcolmized FT-102 back last week and set it up on the table for evaluation. Methinks I'll replace the current 20M rig (an Omni VI/Opt 3) with the FT-102 when I reconfigure the shack in a few weeks. It's been tested around 200w PEP output on 14MHz and I should be able to put a decent AM signal on the band with it.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I had one of these with an excellent case, frame, dials, etc. Every electronic component needed replaced. I had over a room full of round tuits that I purchased over the tears with the full intention of restoration work.My ex was ashamed to show company my shack with all of the accoutrements. We reached a compromise and I sold off the old AM, and other tube equipment. Attachment 15716 We broke up shortly after.

My class restored a 1000W Collins commercial AM transmitter, fed into a 1200 ft longwire, and my big dentron in line LOL and tuned it from 1600 kc to 1900 something.The main super power transformer was as good as new. My teacher, and I being the only licensed hams made several daytime contacts with the local, "top banders". We started out making a few contacts on exciter power until we could convince the vocational education administrator to sign to PO for 2 Eimac commercial finals. Everything else, my teacher who worked at an electronics supply store at night, and weekends paid for out of his supply. Attachment 15717Neither one of us were able to get permission to operate that station at night, something about master alarms armed all buildings, and it never happened. That would have been cool. I have no idea what happened to it. I graduated, and moved away, my teacher became a silent key. Probably some "supervisor' with a masters in something educational scrapped it for the metal. On edit, I now realize how fortunate I was for others to hear my sexy voice fed with commercial audio feed, into a sweet sounding AM tx. I have wet dreams having that Valiant, or Collins operating ancient Mary on the top band. I am 58, and have only lived at one place that could accommodate a random longwire, or a real, broadcast quality vertical hot tower, fed with smoking hot copper fat diameter ladder line, and real copper grid buried in the ground. I do not see that happening again.
    Last edited by suddenseer; 05-05-2018 at 05:05 PM.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Had a recent AM contact where the op seemed surprised that a SDR op was interested in using AM.

Apparently my audio was good. Which was nice. Hoping to work some ESSB tonight.
    --
    So there I was, totally naked. With only a rubber hose and a stuffed animal...

What? I'm still not wearing pants.
    Telefunken!

Had a recent AM contact where the op seemed surprised that a SDR op was interested in using AM.

Apparently my audio was good. Which was nice. Hoping to work some ESSB tonight.
    Get a kick out it when they ask what plate modulated rig I'm running on AM.

I let them try to guess for a while. Fun times.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Telefunken!
    In leather?
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman