Thread: new computer for radio room: any wisdom on makes/models

new computer for radio room: any wisdom on makes/models

the specific goal is to introduce as little rf noise as possible. everything i have currently seems to have noisy crappy power supplies ... :(
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Look into a Micro-ATX/embedded unit running a Celeron processor, maybe.

What's the purpose - lots of I/O, as a logging facility, call sign DB lookup (online), ?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Build your own. It's the only way to get what you want and nothing you don't want. The only downside is that you have to supply the OS. When building your own, stick with power supplies from CoolerMaster, Antec, and Thermaltake. Possibly Rosewill and EVGA. Get one that does 500-750w.

Nearly every pre-made PC cuts corners somewhere, usually the power supply. That's probably why you have the noise issues you do. I have 2 file servers and 3 desktop computers in this house. As best as I can tell, all my noise comes from other sources, especially on the low bands. My usual noise level on 40 is S3, sometimes lower.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

We should ask first-are you looking for a desktop or a laptop? What OS do you want?
    I thought religions were prophet based organizations.
    What do you mean I am out of money? I still have checks!
    Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic

Sorry for not being clearer... At this point I'm only interested in laptop-style hardware. I'm operating in smaller quarters (by about 25%). Even if space wasn't an issue I couldn't imagine using a desktop chassis... And this will be the only system that will run windows (perhaps dual-booting with some sort of Linux)
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Laptops are not that noisy, usually. The power supply bricks can be, and the USB cables can also cause issues... both radiating and picking up RF. Usually fixable with ferrite bead tricks.

Too bad you don't have a Micro Center near you, if you're still in Syracuse, that is. They have decent refurb computers, and of course laptops. You can bring them back after a few days of testing.

I'm with Jim on the build your own for the ham shack computer. I built one about a year ago, had a few issues that Micro Center took care of for me. Went way over the needed power for the supply (almost double) with a CoolerMaster unit, and a large enough case to make working on it easy. This case has all kinds of RFI blocking goodies, better than most, at a higher price. It was an adventure, but I got it done, and I'm very happy with it.

Certainly, it's a space hog.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by K7SGJ View Post
    Hell-I had a Osborne. And a AIM65.
    I thought religions were prophet based organizations.
    What do you mean I am out of money? I still have checks!
    Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic