Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 60 meters

60 meters

I removed the tiny diode from my Icom 706MK2G that opens up the transmitter, and been having a lot of fun on 60 meters. I'm using my 75/40 meter vee with my old roller inductor ten tech tuner. There is a group every morning about 8AM EST on 5.330.5 USB.

My Paragon IIs will operate there, as will a couple other rigs which are currently out of the lineup at the moment. Have to see what I can do for an NVIS setup for the band.

ETA:

I have all 5 60M frequencies programmed into the P-II's memories and monitor the channels in the evening hours. May have to listen in the morning too.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

One cool feature, the frequencies are spaced so far apart, there is no QRM.

Did you desolder it or do like I did; crush it with a needlenose plier?

Gotta get on 60. I bet it's fun!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Are you enjoying 11 meters? The dx beacon for 10 meters?

11 is deadsville here.

FCC is going to relax the 155mi rule for Class D communications, so we'll be "legally" allowed to work DX on the band (albeit with certificated equipment). That said, my Pro-40 and CP-2000 aren't seeing a lot of use these days. Not too many SSB-operating locals left and skip ain't up.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I can look outside and tell when I can get into Greenwood SC. Pretty consistent phenomenon. Ducting I suspect. Met a couple of hams on 11m who live in that area. Went down to 80m and exchanged QSL cards.
    Matter of fact, when the band is WIDE ASS OPEN, I hear a lot of hams running modern ham equipment on the band.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    I can look outside and tell when I can get into Greenwood SC. Pretty consistent phenomenon. Ducting I suspect. Met a couple of hams on 11m who live in that area. Went down to 80m and exchanged QSL cards.
    Matter of fact, when the band is WIDE ASS OPEN, I hear a lot of hams running modern ham equipment on the band.
    On 60 or 11? Or both?

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I love the qrp ability of the higher hf bands. Tropo is a 'magic' weather phenomenon, those quick packet bursts can give you an idea of the direction, size, shape, etc, of the duct. That, and HAAT were 2 questions I probably bombed on my first phone exam. I have had much fun qrp on 6m with just a vertical.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

...Matter of fact, when the band is WIDE ASS OPEN, I hear a lot of hams running modern ham equipment on the band.
    A couple of the area operators run their amateur equipment on 11 and openly brag about doing so.

Best story so far:

I'm tuning the 27.4-28MHz slice, looking for interesting things/signs of life/etc. and I happened upon a DXish conversation on 27.420LSB. Idiot IDed with his ham callsign after announcing he was running an FT-2000.

During the boom years, there were a LOT of folks using FT-101s (and at least one FT-901) on the air in NEOH. A certain denizen of a channel we all used to hang out on as teenagers lived about a mile from me; he shared a shack with dad. Their "CB" was a fully loaded TR-7. Ask yourself how much scratch that would set you back in 1980...