Thread: ICOM IC 720a

ICOM IC 720a

I just bought an IC 720a at a hamfest. It's in really good condition. My question is that when it is turned on, it takes a few minutes to come on
    and start tuning to the band..(the klacking sound). Is that normally how the 720's start up? Thanks.

Yes. The 720 has a mechanical band switch that the microprocessor ratchets around with a solenoid. When you first turn the radio on part of its power on self test is to find the beginning of the band switch.
    The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you for your information...I have been a tech for 15 years and I am studying for my general ticket. I am new to HF rigs so I just wanted to be sure.

Thank you... I will check the site out. 73

I have an IC-7072 interface that allows you to slave an R-70 to the 720(A). If interested, get in touch.
    Last edited by N8YX; 02-19-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Changed model number to correct one!
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Slave an R-70 to a 720A means what exactly? Thanks...73

Quote Originally Posted by K8TAE View Post
    Slave an R-70 to a 720A means what exactly? Thanks...73
    The R-70 has better interference-fighting controls than the '720 does. With the EX-7072, you can control the '720's operating frequency by means of the R-70's tuning dial. It's like having two receivers in one.

Go here and read N3WXW's review of the setup:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2594?page=1

An eBay listing for one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Icom-IC-707...-/192093772904
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."