When I was young, the were no such things as "Day Care Centers", mothers stayed in the home amd raised the child while Dad worked.

It wasn't like that for me, my mother bundled me up, put us on the bus and took me to work with her where, she did "Domestic Work" for affluent families; she taught me how to read using the Billboards, Street and Traffic signs and, the Bus stop benches.

I did not even know Bacon existed until I started Kindergarten and my God-mother started keeping me and getting me off to school. Folks where my mother worked didn't eat Pork.

But more importantly, when I started school and, was taught "Grammar", I was instructed that, "A sentence started with a Capital letter and ended with a period, a question mark or, an exclamation point; everything else went in between. Hard and fast rule, easy to remember.

Now-a-days, writers are being taught that it is proper to end a sentence with "Quotation marks" instead of the period, question mark or exclamation point when the quote comes at the end of a sentence.

Had the biggest disagreement while "Technical Editor" with the Editor-in-Chief over where to put the period in a sentence when talking about "something", as opposed to ending a sentence with a quotation.

Example: Everybody knows that *45 and his administration are full of "Shyte".

Example: The announcer proclaimed, "Let's get ready to rumble."

Both examples are correct but, my Editor believed everything went behind the quotation marks while, I believed as I was taught that the period ended the sentence; to solve the dispute, I resolved to edit the content in such a way that the sentences didn't end in a quote.

So, when did the rules of Grammar change, was it when Independent thought became hard to find and, idiots relied upon and parroted the lines of those more informed than them; to prevent the appearance of plagiarism, were the "Quotation marks" moved behind the period?

How were you instructed in school?