Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When did the rules change?

Beach Bum
    The rules haven't changed. Punctuation is enclosed within quotations. The exception is when you enclose something parenthesis after a quotation.

But yes, some rules do change unofficially. Like spelling. The past tense of spell can be spelt or spelled. Some halfwit somewhere decided spelt is incorrect and for some reason a lot of people now think that spelling is invalid.

In both of the above cases someone somewhere took it upon themselves to change it. The reality is nothing has changed other than we have the internet now and everyone on the internet thinks they are an authority on everything.

Texting is derived from CW abbrevitations, sometimes
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    Texting is derived from CW abbrevitations, sometimes
    CW the first analog to digital conversion.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by KE6KA View Post
    But yes, some rules do change unofficially. Like spelling. The past tense of spell can be spelt or spelled. Some halfwit somewhere decided spelt is incorrect and for some reason a lot of people now think that spelling is invalid.

In both of the above cases someone somewhere took it upon themselves to change it. The reality is nothing has changed other than we have the internet now and everyone on the internet thinks they are an authority on everything.
    "Spelt" is also a grain used in cooking, opinons vary as to what it actually is but I must say "spelt" sounds better when read aloud even if it's written as "spelled".

How about "rooves" usually spelled "roofs" but read aloud with the "v". "Rooves" in print seems to match "hooves" but doesn't look right. Right now I've run out of inverted commas, I'll get some more off Epay.

My grammartimus maximus is sore now

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by HUGH View Post
    "Spelt" is also a grain used in cooking, opinons vary as to what it actually is but I must say "spelt" sounds better when read aloud even if it's written as "spelled".

How about "rooves" usually spelled "roofs" but read aloud with the "v". "Rooves" in print seems to match "hooves" but doesn't look right. Right now I've run out of inverted commas, I'll get some more off Epay.
    I defer to the guy where this bloody lingo started from.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger