Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yaesu 9000 discontinued....what replaces it?

Yaesu 9000 discontinued....what replaces it?

Anyone have any idea what's in yaesu's pipeline?

Or all the other manufacturers? Love to see what replaces Kenwood s 990.

Icom of course has been the busiest...

I hate to 'answer' a valid question with an apparent dumb, and dumber narrative to welcome you to the Island. The bartender, and the captain of the karma kafe are both here in the black lodge with us.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

My guess would be something along the lines of an updated FTDX-5000.

Wouldn't mind getting a '9000 to play with, though I'm still stuck in the 90x/102/980 era as far as my operational lineup goes.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Though the 9000 is good the FT 2000-D i have is more then sufficient.
    Newer doesn't always mean better, some new "play knobs" on the front doesn't make the receiver better.

Looking back from the hybrids and TS 430 line the FT847 with collins filters, Ft 100 and now the 2000-D i really can't say receivers went ballistically better in performance.
    most of us have mediocra antena systems, and no antenna farm so any high Q receiver would not make much of a diference.

Played with the ft 9000, nice big rig, but not much better as my FT 2000-D.
    Cerrtainly not worth the extra spending on what i have now.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    ....Newer doesn't always mean better, some new "play knobs" on the front doesn't make the receiver better....
    I will second that. I know that when I got my Icom 720a new it did not receive any better that my Collins 75A4. I do think that manufactures have reached a point where they are up against the laws of physics as to noise floors and signal to noise ratios etc. They have done well with digital filters.
    I thought religions were prophet based organizations.
    What do you mean I am out of money? I still have checks!
    Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic

The old Uniden 2020 i had was a very quiet receiver and very nice to listen too, easy to repair and I had some fun years with it.
    I know noise and man made noise since then went up a lot, but i still miss the old radio, though the woodpecker was a pain in the butt....
    Looking back i realize i'm starting to look like an old gruntled operator, but having used the FT 9000 and owning the FT 2000-D as main radio i'm awash in filters bandwith choices, audio settings multiple settings in the menu all 151 of them, and a gazillion knobs on the front to set things the way i like it, and still remember the quiet receive of that Uniden 2020... with envy...

Yeah i know, looking at specs the FT 2000-D runs rings around the Uniden 2020, but i don't listen with specs, i listen with my ears and nature build in filtering...
    The only tube here left is the new 3-500 ZG in the heathkit SB-1000, but nostalgia, or maybe too glorified remembering of the old (trans)ceivers still prove thaat in 30 years except specs on paper the reality is that receeivers didn't make all that improvement we want to believe.

Reason i always advise new hams to start with a cheaper older radio and spend more on their antenna's, there the real gain can be made.
    But then most want the latest gizmo with LCD screens and impressive front with all the knobs etc.....
    The chain is only as strong as the weakest link, so a cheaper transceiver with good antenna's will give more pleasure as the latest 10 K+ radio with sub optimal antenna's.

I'm not in the hobby to impress my counter station with my radio, i'm in it for the fun, making qso's and make friends.
    My antenna's are home made, as is most of my test gear, though building back that now.

Back to the original poster Q, what will replace the FT 9000? the ham radio market is relative small, designing a new radio in the top segment costs lots of money and the market is relative small.
    and there is competition as well, see Icom, Kenwood all fighting for that same small market.
    Guessing is not a clever idea, there will be an other top of the line transceiver, but what and how is up to Yaesu.
    I'm 65, the FT 2000-D and the FT 847 and Ft 100 will do fine for me for the future.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

The old Uniden 2020 i had was a very quiet receiver and very nice to listen too, easy to repair and I had some fun years with it.
    I know noise and man made noise since then went up a lot, but i still miss the old radio, though the woodpecker was a pain in the butt.

...and still remember the quiet receive of that Uniden 2020... with envy...
    I have one - with the 8010 Remote VFO and a couple of external speakers (one Uniden branded; the other Tempo) - here.

My sole gripe with the radio from an operational perspective is the lack of an IF-based Rejection (Notch) control. I managed to score some spare concentric knobs from Wald, N4PL and may end up modifying one of the front panel controls to include the function.

Electrically...the VFO interface to the VCO Board is in an area that runs hot. It consists of a SIP header which is soldered into the VCO PCB. Said header can develop intermittents, whereby the internal, external or both VFOs quit working. The fix is to remove the tin-plated part and replace with a gold-plated equivalent. And what were they thinking with the RF Attenuator pot directly across the antenna terminals? A sure-fire way to damage the thing in the absence of a fuse lamp!

If Quartslab will hook me up with the rocks, I may convert one of the rig's 10M segments to 12M.

Since we're talking about Best Yaesu, I currently have an FT-102 inbound. It's sitting at Mal Eiselman's (NC4L) shop at the moment; he arranged for me to buy the thing "in flight" and is going to 'Malcomize' it before shipping the rig to me. What brought this on was my ability to score all the other station pieces (including a like-new FV-102DM). The other rig of the period which was touted as being a high-end hybrid is a TS-830S, one of which I owned in the 80s. It'll be interesting to see how the '102 stacks up against it.

FWIW, my favorite go-to hybrid is still the Kenwood 820 series. Wish it had AM/FM TRX like the FT-90x and '102, but I prefer the R-820 to the TS-830S's overall layout. Electronically, they're pretty much the same. All of mine have had the WARC bands added (TS-820S: RX-only) so it's not like I'm losing any coverage by sticking with that line.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

and still remember the quiet receive of that Uniden 2020... with envy...
    I love my Flex 3000, but, speaking of quiet on RX, and I still have it...

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX View Post
    I love my Flex 3000, but, speaking of quiet on RX, and I still have it...

Over the years I've thought about getting a C-model. A ham who lived across the street from a childhood friend had a complete Omni station and I got a tour shortly after becoming licensed.

Every now and then I'll see them pop up at DaytonXenia. Not so much the local 'fests these days. In the late 80s it seemed that every regional one I attended had at least one Omni and peripherals for sale.