Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primer or Howto for Repair of Hybrid HF Transceiver

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Primer or Howto for Repair of Hybrid HF Transceiver

Hello there,

Can somebody point me towards a guide for the restoration and repair of older Kenwood hybrid rigs please? My special interest is the TS530, but the problems I am having are probably generic in rigs which are 30 years old. Thanks es 73

Riccardo

Located on the southern coast of NSW, where it is high summer at the moment and all sensible people are in the shade with a cool drink!

First of all, Welcome to the Island. Enjoy your stay. One of our Radio Gurus should be with you shortly and hopefully can point you in the right direction.
    In the meantime, enjoy a tiki drink. Compliments of the Island Bar!

ZZ-Drink_Copy_of_IMG_01731_zpsd1f9f3ae.jpg

Hi Riccardo. I have had a TS-530 since they day they hit the streets. What issues do you have?

If you are just looking for info, parts, etc, K4EAA (Ken) has a great site for Kenwood Hybrids at K4EAA.com. Both service and user manuals are located on the web. Google is your friend. And I belong to a couple of Kenwood user groups on Yahoo. One is Kenwood TS-520_820_530_830. There are several more on there that deal with Kenwood as well as other Hybrid radios of that era. There is a whole plethora of knowledge contained on those user boards. If you have something specific to address Fred has a lot of experience restoring these radios and putting them back into service. I have fixed my fair share of these units, too. I have always preferred these hybrid radios over many of the newer rigs. But, I play with both. By far the hybrids are a whole lot easier to work on and have a successful restoration.

At any rate, welcome to the Island. Pull up a coconut and make yourself at home.
    Last edited by K7SGJ; 01-06-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

What they said. I keep coming back to the tube hybrids for some reason. Absent from my collection at the moment are a TS-530 and TS-830 though I'm going to remedy that some day. Really liked my '830 when I owned one in the early 80s.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Hello there...

Thanks to those who have responded. My situation is this:-
    the radio is a ts-530s clone (a Bando technic )and while receiving just before Xmas, it suddenly quit. It made a sizzle noise and the 2A (slo-blo) main fuse went. I am assured that the PA stage is fully compatible with a TS-530 so am looking at what I need to check BEFORE I replace the fuse. The radio is at least 25 years old ... I've only had it a short while and is in excellent physical condition. I first thought of cathode resistors ... so I propose a careful physical inspection and maybe some measurements (I have read that the resistors go 'high' after some time and this creates problems. Next, I thought I look at the condition of the 6146 valves. Maybe also check the screen grid resistors. What to you think of this approach??

riccardo
    VK1RJ/2

Here, it's high summer and was only +20 (Celsius) over night. Today it's supposed to go to 30!! Cheers.

Get the tubes (all three) completely out of their circuits then have a look at voltages and resistances.There are a few articles floating around the 'Net which deal with the ubiquitous 6146 PA and various causes of failure. Cathode resistors and the tubes themselves are two things I'd start with.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Fred...also to add to this,also consider the age of the rig,was a re-cap done on all the older filter capacitors in the PS? ....I have corrected similar problems in a couple or older Yaesu's and a Kenwood with recapping them!
    Why,driving into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour, would I expect it not to hurt! :roll:

Walk and Talk like a Canajun!!

Thanks for everybody's replies. I shall remove the 3 valves and check the voltage readings after we get back from our wedding anniversary trip around New Zealand. I shall then post the results to this list. Perhaps somebody can tell me where the pin-out for 6146B rf amplifiers can be found ... the one which specifies voltages. Maybe the tech manual for the TS530 gives this. Not much time to do this before we decamp on Sunday. Want to take my time and get it right. Also need to try and locate a local with a valve-tester. They are not common nowadays! Thanks again for help. Talk again in mid-February.

riccardo
    VK1RJ/2

Though I haven't downloaded the 530-specific documentation, I think Ken (K4EAA) has schematics on his site which show all the voltages. Likewise, Gordon (N6WK) and Ron (WB4HFN).

For purposes of your repair work, any of the Kenwood hybrid PA circuits can be used as a reference. This includes the TS-520, 820, 530 and 830. There will be slight differences in the band-switching and metering circuits amongst the various rigs but the overall design itself was re-used across all of them.

Yaesu and Uniden(Tempo) used less plate voltage and more plate current in their hybrid PAs. I haven't recently gotten into a Heathkit tube PA which uses 6146s but I assume the circuits are close enough for troubleshooting guidelines. There's a good bit of info floating around on the 'Net about the Heath stuff - SB-100, 101, 102 and HX-1681 are a few I know of that employ a similar driver and PA arrangement.

Good point, Gerry. I recently did the HV and MV sections of my FL-101 and changed a number of electrolytics on the other PCBs as well, although Yaesu used high-quality capacitors throughout their rigs of the period. They don't often go bad.

Examining the various voltages with a scope will tell one much about what's up with the power supplies.