Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Net Neutrality and my Home Network

Net Neutrality and my Home Network

Now that Trump and Ajit Pai and the FCC have effectively eliminated net neutrality I am free to filter and degrade the performance of my own network. I am going to start by throttling back and/or blocking any sites info or apps that I don't care like. This way my family or visitors to my house that use my network will be limited only to sites and apps that I happen to like. Stuff that I like will come through at top speed. Anything else will be reduced to sub-dialup speeds or maybe blocked altogether. Of course I will accept substantial amounts of money from anyone who wants broadband speeds for the stuff I throttle down or block. After decades of dealing with an Internet that works I finally get to break it. Yee Hawwww.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Orca Whisperer
    Block my site down to dial up speeds. Then it'll be a realistic view of it :P
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    Block my site down to dial up speeds. Then it'll be a realistic view of it :P
    On a side note I have heard some people suggest that using a VPN is a viable way getting around having to pay extra for a tiered Internet should the ISP's decide to go that route now that Trump's buddy Pai has effectively destroyed a neutral Internet. But in that case can't the ISP's simply either throttle down or block encrypted VPN traffic ?

Sad but potentially true. This really sucks. If the major ISP's do decide to implement a "pay as you go" tiered Internet it might be a great time and business opportunity for a new provider to come along that guarantees a neutral and unbroken Internet. I sure as heck would sign up for them and I am sure millions of others would do the same.
    Last edited by n2ize; 12-21-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize View Post
    I have heard some people suggest that using a VPN is a viable way getting around having to pay extra for a tiered Internet should the ISP's decide to go that route
    do you think that ISPs can't identify VPN traffic? IMHO, this will be one of the first modes to get an upcharge (since it is commonly used by folks working at home, so it's clearly a business service and can be written off or charged back to an employer).
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm View Post
    do you think that ISPs can't identify VPN traffic? IMHO, this will be one of the first modes to get an upcharge (since it is commonly used by folks working at home, so it's clearly a business service and can be written off or charged back to an employer).
    You echoed my thoughts exactly. Of course they can identify VPN traffic and throttle the speed down and/or if they are really a bunch of rats, block it entirely until you ante up the bread. If they do go that route I will be seriously tempted to disconnect myself from the Internet altogether. As a matter of principle I can't see myself having to pay my way through a broken Internet that for a price offers me only bits and pieces of what was once a fully functional global network. I have heard some people say "just switch to a different ISP". How do you switch to a different ISP when all of the ISP's are offering the same broken and unreliable Internet ? Screw them. Maybe some smart people will need to get together, ppool their resources and build up a new and unbroken global network.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    How do you set up and use a VPN?
    Well, if you use Firefox or Opera they come with built in access to a free VPN. But that will only route your browsers traffic through the VPN. Still, better than nothing at all. Better yet for a fee you can subscribe to a VPN provider and configure the VPN at the hardware level such that you route all of your Internet traffic such that every bit of traffic to/from your entire network passes through the VPN encrypted. So for example the router that acts as the front end gateway between your network and the VPN. Google "setting up a VPN". There's tons of info out there.
    Last edited by n2ize; 12-21-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Orca Whisperer
    On a side note I have heard some people suggest that using a VPN is a viable way getting around having to pay extra for a tiered Internet should the ISP's decide to go that route now that Trump's buddy Pai has effectively destroyed a neutral Internet. But in that case can't the ISP's simply either throttle down or block encrypted VPN traffic ?

Sad but potentially true. This really sucks. If the major ISP's do decide to implement a "pay as you go" tiered Internet it might be a great time and business opportunity for a new provider to come along that guarantees a neutral and unbroken Internet. I sure as heck would sign up for them and I am sure millions of others would do the same.
    I've been using TOR for the whole house internet, and blocking anything unencrpyted outbound (No http, no telnet, no clear POP3, no clear SMTP, etc etc)

Yes, they might slow it down. But then, I'll just use a pluggable transport, and send it over 443 TLS.

They slow that down? Hopefully the BuffaloMesh.net project is in full gear by that time.

Rebuilding the internet is the only solution. And we can't use the ISP's pipes to do so. We have to build community owned pipes. Once you get to the IX, it's rarely a consumer problem. Still doesn't solve the issues with the content providers.

PS

For those wonder how I do whole-house TOR? Stick a Raspberry Pi (Or Debian/CentOS machine) between your Wifi router, and your upstream: https://github.com/BuffaloMeshDotNet/nodeguard

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV View Post
    I've been using TOR for the whole house internet, and blocking anything unencrpyted outbound (No http, no telnet, no clear POP3, no clear SMTP, etc etc)

Yes, they might slow it down. But then, I'll just use a pluggable transport, and send it over 443 TLS.
    Can you explain me more about this or a link ? I would like to learn more about this. Particularly since we are facing a future of a censored, limited, slow, overpriced and broken , "pay as you go" Internet. The more I can learn to keep the Internet playing nicely the better.

They slow that down? Hopefully the BuffaloMesh.net project is in full gear by that time.

Rebuilding the internet is the only solution. And we can't use the ISP's pipes to do so. We have to build community owned pipes. Once you get to the IX, it's rarely a consumer problem. Still doesn't solve the issues with the content providers.
    Hopefully the bleak future of a broken Internet will prompt more and more people to work together to build and roll out more community owned networks. I would gladly contribute to such projects and support and use them. Ultimately the big gun providers may end up shooting themselves in the foot.

PS

For those wonder how I do whole-house TOR? Stick a Raspberry Pi (Or Debian/CentOS machine) between your Wifi router, and your upstream: https://github.com/BuffaloMeshDotNet/nodeguard
    Thanks. This is the kind of info that I want and it will be growing in relevance over the upcoming months and years.

Let's also bear in mind that the struggle for a neutral Internet isn't over yet. In fact it has a long fight ahead in upcoming court battles. In time net neutrality may have to be restored.

Orca Whisperer
    Can you explain me more about this or a link ? I would like to learn more about this. Particularly since we are facing a future of a censored, limited, slow, overpriced and broken , "pay as you go" Internet. The more I can learn to keep the Internet playing nicely the better.
    To sum up, it makes your TOR traffic look like HTTPS, or ssh traffic: https://www.torproject.org/docs/plug...sports.html.en

Hopefully the bleak future of a broken Internet will prompt more and more people to work together to build and roll out more community owned networks. I would gladly contribute to such projects and support and use them. Ultimately the big gun providers may end up shooting themselves in the foot.
    I've been trying. The hardest part was getting people to think it was important. That's getting easier to do now, thankfully.

Thanks. This is the kind of info that I want and it will be growing in relevance over the upcoming months and years.

Let's also bear in mind that the struggle for a neutral Internet isn't over yet. In fact it has a long fight ahead in upcoming court battles. In time net neutrality may have to be restored.

No problem! Even if it gets kicked back this time, in 18 months or so, it'll be another round. These bastards don't seem to stop.