Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasons Greetings and Other Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by N7YA View Post
    Figures i made a post about it not snowing....its snowing.
    We got 12" of snow in central Alabama. It resulted in cannibalism when the milk and bread ran out.
    "Friendships come in strange packages
    The best ones are opened with a smile"

NA4BH '15

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    We got 12" of snow in central Alabama. It resulted in cannibalism when the milk and bread ran out.
    Did you eat your wife, so to speak?
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL

First lake effect snow of the season has the Akron to Cleveland area paralyzed.

Let's all forget how to drive in the stuff, shall we?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I left work on Friday with 3" of snow on my car. On the 40 mile drive home it was reduced to 1" and was the only snow in my yard. No snow at the house at all.

a yankee living in the hind end of the bible belt
    some people are like slinkys, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by NA4BH View Post
    Not uncommon in the South. A popular prepper book is about preparing human meat and the various uses as bait to lure in and kill predatory animals.

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Snowing here as well, expecting 4 to 6 inches here today and tomorrow, time to put the new 4 season tires to the test ;)
    Need croisants, so off to shopping we go.
    Somewhere you told us what your new tyres/tires were, I can't find it now but a friend of mine needs to change his for winter and some brands are hard to get hold of this month. I'm OK with a set of Falken AT (also marked as M & S) but I see other 4x4s which are bigger than mine with what I call "go-faster" tyres and they get embarasingly stuck. (My friend's tyres are simply cheap).

Vredestein Quatrac 5 are my new tires, always come up in the top of the tested 4 season tires/tyres....;)
    Had my first test last week when we got 6" snow, and ice under that, performed flawlessly, good driving, good breaking and they take bumps in the road better as the old summer tires, maybe the rubber compound with silica helps there a bit.
    Made in the Netherlands, made for the better high end cars available in many sizes and loads so there will be one fitting for every car/truck/4x4, for all speeds maximums, and loads.
    They have the European snowflake imprinted on them so in all countries where winter tires are mandatory you can use them.

I was surprised about traction i got as well on snow and ice, and breaking ability.
    Stability in corners was excellent, no more back end sliding out or not following the corner, and i drive mostly quite aggressive.

Read a review of an UK buyer living near a hill, he found it works quite well too, going uphill in snow and ice, and in summer was a almost as good summer tire he had before.
    I read up a lot before choosing this one, i needed a good all round tire, and the extra safety in winter, since freezing over roads happen here every winter, snow not so much, but it does snow here every year.

Being honest, it is not a real winter tire, but it works quite nice as one, and i don't need 2 sets of tires to change with the few kilometers i drive each year, the tires would dry out before i used them up anyway, so that was not a choice.

cost was including mounting them, taking in old tires, and balancing them and tires 226 Euro's for the 175/70 R 13 inch tires, all 4 of them.
    The old summer tires were 155/80 R13 a bit too small in my opinion, hence i went for the wider tires i could fit.
    Remember to put in a higher tire pressure as summer tires, 2.4 Bar is needed against 2.2 Bar for the summer tires.
    Look up the reviews i gave in my former post.
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vr.../Quatrac-5.htm
    The Vredestein Quatrac range is one of the better known all season tyre ranges in the UK, and the Quatrac 5 builds on the excellent base of the Quatrac 3. A win in the dry handling test (but still beaten by the summer tyre) and second in dry braking and rolling resistance were the stand out results for the Vredestein, but a strong mid pack performance in the wet and snow tests resulted in a third place overall.

Thought I would try the new all season Quatrac 5 as I live 400 metres up in the valleys of Wales and drive sometimes a 1000 miles a week all over the UK. In the wet, snow and icy conditions these are unbeatable and stop the car better than any expensive top end brands on the market. About 80 per cent as good as the best summer brands in hot dry conditions and I only managed to skid the car slightly on heavy braking on dusty dry roads when driving very fast, then again what tyres won't slide slightly in these condiditions. I have done over 18'000 miles on these since January in all conditions, I just swapped the back tyres to the front and reckon I will get at least another 18 thousand out of them so great value for money too. I won't be carrying two sets of tyres for summer and winter again. They are also quiet and extremely good on rolling resistance so on a tank of fuel I gain around 40-60 miles more for my money. I won't be buying anything else again and have tried all the best makes over the years!.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm
    As you can see the Falken tires end up mostly in the worst category.
    https://www.moderntyres.com/another-...l-season-tyres

A happy costumer ;)
    Last edited by PA5COR; 12-14-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: add data
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Now have around a foot of the stuff on the ground - it came in several waves. Clipper/Lake Effect/Clipper/Lake Effect over two days.

I got new meats on my car a few months ago. Cooper RS3A's. That's what was on it when I bought the thing but the new ones certainly grip a lot better in snow.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 are my new tires, always come up in the top of the tested 4 season tires/tyres....;)
    Had my first test last week when we got 6" snow, and ice under that, performed flawlessly, good driving, good breaking and they take bumps in the road better as the old summer tires, maybe the rubber compound with silica helps there a bit.
    Made in the Netherlands, made for the better high end cars available in many sizes and loads so there will be one fitting for every car/truck/4x4, for all speeds maximums, and loads.
    They have the European snowflake imprinted on them so in all countries where winter tires are mandatory you can use them.

I was surprised about traction i got as well on snow and ice, and breaking ability.
    Stability in corners was excellent, no more back end sliding out or not following the corner, and i drive mostly quite aggressive.

Read a review of an UK buyer living near a hill, he found it works quite well too, going uphill in snow and ice, and in summer was a almost as good summer tire he had before.
    I read up a lot before choosing this one, i needed a good all round tire, and the extra safety in winter, since freezing over roads happen here every winter, snow not so much, but it does snow here every year.

Being honest, it is not a real winter tire, but it works quite nice as one, and i don't need 2 sets of tires to change with the few kilometers i drive each year, the tires would dry out before i used them up anyway, so that was not a choice.

cost was including mounting them, taking in old tires, and balancing them and tires 226 Euro's for the 175/70 R 13 inch tires, all 4 of them.
    The old summer tires were 155/80 R13 a bit too small in my opinion, hence i went for the wider tires i could fit.
    Remember to put in a higher tire pressure as summer tires, 2.4 Bar is needed against 2.2 Bar for the summer tires.
    Look up the reviews i gave in my former post.
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vr.../Quatrac-5.htm
    The Vredestein Quatrac range is one of the better known all season tyre ranges in the UK, and the Quatrac 5 builds on the excellent base of the Quatrac 3. A win in the dry handling test (but still beaten by the summer tyre) and second in dry braking and rolling resistance were the stand out results for the Vredestein, but a strong mid pack performance in the wet and snow tests resulted in a third place overall.

Thought I would try the new all season Quatrac 5 as I live 400 metres up in the valleys of Wales and drive sometimes a 1000 miles a week all over the UK. In the wet, snow and icy conditions these are unbeatable and stop the car better than any expensive top end brands on the market. About 80 per cent as good as the best summer brands in hot dry conditions and I only managed to skid the car slightly on heavy braking on dusty dry roads when driving very fast, then again what tyres won't slide slightly in these condiditions. I have done over 18'000 miles on these since January in all conditions, I just swapped the back tyres to the front and reckon I will get at least another 18 thousand out of them so great value for money too. I won't be carrying two sets of tyres for summer and winter again. They are also quiet and extremely good on rolling resistance so on a tank of fuel I gain around 40-60 miles more for my money. I won't be buying anything else again and have tried all the best makes over the years!.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm
    As you can see the Falken tires end up mostly in the worst category.
    https://www.moderntyres.com/another-...l-season-tyres

A happy costumer ;)
    Thank you, let's see what the local tyre companies can find for him. There are at least 5 of them and he may get away with just the good ones on the front.

We are already on our 3rd snow of the season. As far as Christmas goes for me this is going to be a solemn and melancholy Christmas. It is the first Christmas without my Father. But he will be with me in spirit. He frequently gives me signs that he is still with me.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.