Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Have Fallen And, I Can't.....

I Have Fallen And, I Can't.....

....Remember how to get up; kinda!

Back in the "Legacy Days", Dual booting multiple operating systems was a breeze; I remember editing some ms-dos file but, lack of use of that part of my brain coupled with the fact that I did not need to Dual-boot any machines has caused me forget the procedure (either use it or lose it).

I am trying to part ways with my Dell Optiflex desktop but, all my goodies are on there. I would like to remove the HDD from the Dell and place it in my Radio-Room computer running Windows 7 then, be able to boot from either operating system.

I have two high-end Windows 10 Laptops and, a MacBook Pro collecting dust; my goal is to (after doing a full backup) pull the HDD out of the Dell, replace it and image it with Windows 7 and give it to my father-in-law.

Laptop already setup to take over the Dell Desktop role but, cannot cut the strings just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post

Back in the "Legacy Days", Dual booting multiple operating systems was a breeze; I remember editing some ms-dos file but, lack of use of that part of my brain coupled with the fact that I did not need to Dual-boot any machines has caused me forget the procedure (either use it or lose it).

I am trying to part ways with my Dell Optiflex desktop but, all my goodies are on there. I would like to remove the HDD from the Dell and place it in my Radio-Room computer running Windows 7 then, be able to boot from either operating system.

I have two high-end Windows 10 Laptops and, a MacBook Pro collecting dust; my goal is to (after doing a full backup) pull the HDD out of the Dell, replace it and image it with Windows 7 and give it to my father-in-law.

Laptop already setup to take over the Dell Desktop role but, cannot cut the strings just yet.

Somewhere in the procedure it could be useful to have a USB to HDD adaptor in order to transfer as may files as possible before indulging in surgery. In the days of DOS it was easy, though time-consuming, to clone discs. These days I've made that doubly difficult by partitioning some of my drives from C to J.
    Good luck with that one.

Ahh, just let the cloud copy/paste/(backup) do all of that file thingy shit. When my phone gets lost, stolen, crushed in scrap steel compactor. LOL Something always happens, so I am ready.

cul de n8tb
    "Sadly, it always takes a few martyrs to get the ball rolling." Colonel Tim Boldman 2001
    "There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."--William James
    "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." Victor J. Stenger

Quote Originally Posted by suddenseer View Post
    Ahh, just let the cloud copy/paste/(backup) do all of that file thingy shit. When my phone gets lost, stolen, crushed in scrap steel compactor. LOL Something always happens, so I am ready.
    Well, scrap the dual boot idea; the BIOS setting on the MoBo determines which Hard Drive to boot from.

But, I used a utility called R-Drive to make two bootable backups of my Vista system, I installed one of the Hard Drives into the Windows 7 desktop, along with the Installation disc. I booted from the CD-Rom and told it to repair my Windows Vista OS. For all the money in Bill Gates account, the machine could not/would not repair and make bootable the Vista HD.

So, it is installed in the Windows 7 machine; I have access to all the info, just cannot use the Vista OS.

I still have the Vista machine running with, a bootable backup sitting on another HD.

I have VM Workstation 12.x installed on my Win 10 Laptop and I had the option to "Virtualize" a physical machine; I followed all the instructions, downloaded the Standalone Converter but, the live cloning of the machine failed; I cursed a bunch and, just created a Virtual machine using the Vista installation disk (gonna try to use the backup to "restore" my Virtual Machine to where (this) the Vista machine is now).

All the thingies have bugged me for an update/reboot, so I must be better off than I was a minute ago. Right?

All this hair on fire shit about security this and security that. I wish people would just leave shit well enough alone and quit trying to pry into other peoples machines.

Uh oh. Wished in one hand and shat in the other. Anyone have a spare square of TP they can spare?

P.S. Wasn't SPECTRE the bad guys in some campy 60's tv show? Not a for real threat nowadays? Where do they get these names anyway?
    Last edited by WZ7U; 01-19-2018 at 10:23 AM. Reason: none, spur of the moment in a fit of rage fueled by lack of sleep and chest pain from having wire holding your shit together

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Quote Originally Posted by WZ7U View Post
    All the thingies have bugged me for an update/reboot, so I must be better off than I was a minute ago. Right?

All this hair on fire shit about security this and security that. I wish people would just leave shit well enough alone and quit trying to pry into other peoples machines.

Uh oh. Wished in one hand and shat in the other. Anyone have a spare square of TP they can spare?

P.S. Wasn't SPECTRE the bad guys in some campy 60's tv show? Not a for real threat nowadays? Where do they get these names anyway?
    You may own the hardware but, you have a "License" to use the software; the owner of the software offers updates and, expects your machine to be available to receive these updates for it's own benefit.

Security? The only network I'm worried about is my own and, I'm trying to decrease the size of it.

I'm not even sure that the patch would cover some of the "Legacy" CPU's older than a certain date.

I thought SPECTRE was the bad guys in James Bond movies (could have been Get S.M.A.R.T. on TV).

WOW, this message make my post count exactly 1600!
    Last edited by koØm; 01-20-2018 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Trivia

Keep typing! Don't stop now!

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

I can't stop myself...

Last edited by WØTKX; 01-21-2018 at 12:16 AM.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by koØm View Post

It is with great regrets that I announce the untimely death of the Vista Operating System on my dual core Dell Optiflex desktop; I will miss all the programs that I had on it that are now incompatible with WinX. They will be missed. Hard Disc Drive is secure.

"Hard-to-Recycle" event scheduled for this weekend, Ill be there.