Thread: Laser Mouse ate the tainted cheese

Laser Mouse ate the tainted cheese

I was wondering how much mileage you get out of your mice.
    The one that came with this box, a laser mouse by Dell, (which I've never seen a single laser blast from it yet)now seems to have a right button that likes to stay active or click by itself which is a real PITA. It's been a little more than a year now, so I thought it should last longer than that. I know shit is cheap but so am I since I live on student loans and about $200 a month on the side. Would it be worth attempting a fix? I suspect the actual microswitch is what took a shit. Probably just more landfill material after I strip out what still works, if that's even reasonable or doable.

I guess I'm just really annoyed by this, since it's finals week and all I have on hand is this clunky trackball from an old WinXP machine. It's going to make CAD a challenge, relearning how to draw with a trackball. Fuck.

Like that post was...
    Moving on, my posts are not helpful

Probably costs more in electricity to heat the old soldering iron to fix it than buying a new one through one of the online outlets or the local discount store.

I fixed a broken trace on a keyboard with silver fingernail polish once. It was 1985 and I was in the middle of nowhere South Korea.
    "Don't put it on the plate if you can't eat it!"

Quote Originally Posted by K4PIH View Post
    Probably costs more in electricity to heat the old soldering iron to fix it than buying a new one through one of the online outlets or the local discount store.

I fixed a broken trace on a keyboard with silver fingernail polish once. It was 1985 and I was in the middle of nowhere South Korea.
    A real life McGyver!

I think many of todays mice/mouses/meeces have only a one-piece moulding for the body, left and right buttons which seems to made them less tactile, perhhaps even missing the microswitch. It also means it's a pig to get them apart.

The laser in the mouse is low power infrared. It's beam is invisible. If you view it through a video camera you should be able to "see" the beam.

BTW, round here they last a very long time.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.